Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Freakin' superintendant! Again, no delays at all, blistering cold temperatures, wind gusts, and snowfall. 10 degrees out now, I'd say around 2.5 feet of snow here in Parkdale.
So being an "A" day (math), I really wanted it to be cancelled. Plus the fact that I have a nasty cold..didn't particularly make me wanna head to school. We all know that HRCSD is neurotic when it comes to snow days. Prolly 'cause they have to pay the teachers on snow days and supposedly if this upcoming tax thing doesn't get enough "yes" votes then the state's education funds will be cut. But this is ridiculous. I'd much rather have a few extra days tacked on in the spring than this. It's so not right.

By the end of the day, I compiled a list in art class.
Top 10 signs that warn you "it should have been a snow day"

1) There are less than one fourth the normal number of cars in the school parking lot.
2) There are two counties in the entire state of Oregon that have not cancelled school-and you're living in one of them.
3) There's a hand made sign on your English class's door that reads "class room is 53 degrees. Dress warmly," and your daily schedule includes "huddle for warmth."
4) You hear an announcement during third period calling all residents of CL to the office. They are going home 'cause the freeway is being closed.
5) Every teacher, and even the principals, agree that school should've been cancelled.
6) You hear threats from kids while eating lunch aimed at the superintendant.
7) The consensus among your friends: "We need a superintendant from Mexico. Or another location very close to the equator.
8) The bamboo shoots in the art courtroom have bent and been broked by the weight of the snow.
9) There is over a foot of snow surrounding the school and it continues to snow throughout the school day.
10) School buses are not only late arriving at school in the morning, they are late getting back in the afternoon.

Mom dropped me off this morning, but I had to ride the bus home. So I made my way outside when I started seeing them arrive, not wanting to miss mine when it came in and wanting to be ready to climb aboard and find a seat. So it was like, less than 20 degrees, still snowing, and windy. Kids were throwing snowballs while waiting and generally displaying not-so-funny behavior considering I was coughing and sneezing and not having a very good time. I forgot a hat. I waited for the bus for 15 minutes before it arrived. It was a substitute. The bus was chained up, and we rolled and bumped our way along to the middle school, then up hwy. 35. The bus in front of us was so covered in snow and ice that there was no visible back window. Just a solid sheet of snow attached to the bus. Practically 0 visibility, and kids were having to get off and cross the highway. At one stop, cars did not stop, so a girl had to wait in the middle of the road till the highway was clear to cross.
This is ridiculous. I find it ironic that the school district seems so concerned about us getting enough learning days in but totally unconcerned when it comes to basic safety. I bet a lot of kids are going to end up missing more school just by deciding to stay home or catching colds after having to endure school on these freezing days! Plus, I really hope the superintendant catches hell from parents and students alike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home