This morning, prior to sunrise, I awoke to go bear hunting.
Yesterday I happened upon a nice fresh trail of ginormous bear tracks and followed them down to the orchard along the treeline. This prompted me to arise at an uncharacteristic hour to curse the cold and icy snow. When I got out there, it was still dark, and my plan had been to head up to the canal. But it was like, not inviting. Whenever I'm out in the woods in the dark by myself I am slightly unnerved, because I'm thinking, screw the lions and bears, oh my gosh, there are people out there! It's like that poem I just put up on facebook.."Men! The only animal in the world to fear!" So as I contemplated the dark woods and my lack of flashlight and courage, I began to think, "it's really not so easy." And mind you, I wasn't even aiming to actually fight the sought-after bear OR play craps. So I decided to go in front of the house where it's basically field-like and not as creepy, because one can see and hear approaching dangers. Basically I sat out by the orchard under a shrub for forty minutes before moving to the canal trail, where I had a good overview of the orchard and could listen for bear-ish sauntering. To make a long story short, I ended up seeing nothing but did take some photos of the bear tracks while my fingers were steadily losing function in the 20 degree air. Yeah, that story was more pomp than circumstance. But hey, I referenced an Arrowsmith song AND a D.H. Lawrence poem. Take that, Becky!
Moving back to the Portland excursion, we arrived after Beckers got off the plane so had a fun bit of cell phone conversing as we tried to locate one another at different sets of escalators. We browsed and grazed clothes at Buffalo Exchange, and I obtained a pink fluffy sweater made out of rabbit, another sweater consisting of lamb, a pair of sweet jeans, and a green ribbon-clad top. I'm attempting to broaden my attire horizons, with Becky's well-informed input. Then we proceeded to the yet-unlit Peacock Lane, and Trader Joe's.
Today I took Beckers downtown so she could work at the library while I shopped for her. Yesterday we had perused the shops and ate lunch at the Crazy Pepper and she had pointed out some wants so I'd have a decent idea of what to get her. We breaked at Dog River Coffee where we purchased heavenly mochas, complete with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Ok, now I'm going to post a photo of a bear track.
Yesterday I happened upon a nice fresh trail of ginormous bear tracks and followed them down to the orchard along the treeline. This prompted me to arise at an uncharacteristic hour to curse the cold and icy snow. When I got out there, it was still dark, and my plan had been to head up to the canal. But it was like, not inviting. Whenever I'm out in the woods in the dark by myself I am slightly unnerved, because I'm thinking, screw the lions and bears, oh my gosh, there are people out there! It's like that poem I just put up on facebook.."Men! The only animal in the world to fear!" So as I contemplated the dark woods and my lack of flashlight and courage, I began to think, "it's really not so easy." And mind you, I wasn't even aiming to actually fight the sought-after bear OR play craps. So I decided to go in front of the house where it's basically field-like and not as creepy, because one can see and hear approaching dangers. Basically I sat out by the orchard under a shrub for forty minutes before moving to the canal trail, where I had a good overview of the orchard and could listen for bear-ish sauntering. To make a long story short, I ended up seeing nothing but did take some photos of the bear tracks while my fingers were steadily losing function in the 20 degree air. Yeah, that story was more pomp than circumstance. But hey, I referenced an Arrowsmith song AND a D.H. Lawrence poem. Take that, Becky!
Moving back to the Portland excursion, we arrived after Beckers got off the plane so had a fun bit of cell phone conversing as we tried to locate one another at different sets of escalators. We browsed and grazed clothes at Buffalo Exchange, and I obtained a pink fluffy sweater made out of rabbit, another sweater consisting of lamb, a pair of sweet jeans, and a green ribbon-clad top. I'm attempting to broaden my attire horizons, with Becky's well-informed input. Then we proceeded to the yet-unlit Peacock Lane, and Trader Joe's.
Today I took Beckers downtown so she could work at the library while I shopped for her. Yesterday we had perused the shops and ate lunch at the Crazy Pepper and she had pointed out some wants so I'd have a decent idea of what to get her. We breaked at Dog River Coffee where we purchased heavenly mochas, complete with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Ok, now I'm going to post a photo of a bear track.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home