Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Woah.
It's been like a long time. I don't even know where to begin really..um, I'm at college again, about to start the third week of winter term. Here's what I'm taking: writing, calculus, wildlife and agricultural interfaces, a philosophy class about worldviews and environmental values, and biology.
Surprisingly the writing class has given me the most frustration. The professor is looking for a very specific research essay and it's rather annoying. I'm looking into the nature of the opposition to wolf reintroduction in Idaho and Yellowstone. Luckily the calc. class is through the educational opportunities program, which means a way smaller class and probably less homework, because so far it seems manageable.

Yesterday I went to the white wolf sancuary with the FW club. We were greeted by the six arctic wolves right at the driveway and once we were out of the cars and onto the deck of the owner's residence, they commenced howling. It was pretty freaking sweet.

Since I've been here it's basically been pouring rain. I learned in my FW class that the Willamette valley was once covered by ephemeral wetlands. That would explain why the lawns down here are more often than not tiny lakes. There are high water warning signs down by the river and it's flooded a few pathways. Walking down to one such area one evening, Matt and I spotted a swimming muskrat..that was awesome. Matt has now skinned a muskrat too..the next step is a plaid shirt. But I must not oppress!

Oh yes, and last weekend there was Sunriver. Basically the entire population of the house went. I got chains and learned how to put them on for the possibility of adverse snow conditions. I drove all the way there..yay for not running off the road in the precipitating darkness! The pass was gorgeous..moss-covered trees and ferns and water. It was niftay. Sunriver was nice of course..hottub occupying in the snow, snowball fights, and a visit to the nature center and their grouchy looking raptors. For my birthday, Matt and I went to this fancy ass "country French/Italian" restaurant in Bend. We ordered the same pasta dish and they were brought out on massive platters. The portions were tiny, but sufficiently rich and delicious. Their chocolate cake was amazing!

Alright, I'm going to do something else now.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Becky said...

    woah you updated!!

    did you take pictures of these wolves???

    also, birthday girl, I owe you a present! did you like the burt's bees idea? or did you like any of the samples? or I'll send you a care package! I'll be in touch to pester you further on this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home