Every once in a while, I get motivated enough to write something. OK, usually it's when I want to rant. This is definitely one of those times. One, it's official: I have mono. Now before you go jumping to any conclusions, I truly have no idea where I picked up this nasty disease. I'd been feeling pretty crappy ever since mom's weekend, and it was super weird..off and on headaches, mild fever, mild sore throat. Not at all like my usual 102 fever for a day or so, nor was it like a normal cold. But Wednesday morning I awoke with a super horrible icky sore throat and upon physical examination found that there were really gross looking white spots near my tonsils. Anyway, I had a bio. lab outside today, which involved walking in 85 degree weather for about a half hour, and my throat was killing me, and there was poison oak..ack! Anyways, I was going to go to the doctor tomorrow but it was pretty damn bad so went in for "urgent care" after the lab. Strep test negative..mono test positive. So now I just have to wait it out and hope my throat improves. I am now armed with organic vanilla yogurt, bananas, juicy juice, popsicles, pain relievers, and dinosaur fruit snacks.
Ok, here's part II of my rant. So Wednesday, we had a guest speaker in endangered species class. She's a sea turtle researcher and professor in the FW department. She explained how people are still digging up sea turtle eggs (illegally) to sell. Why, might you ask, would there be a demand for sea turtle eggs? Because they're considered to be aphrodisiacs. YEAH. We've got a human population seven billion strong and growing, and we're using eggs of endangered species to improve our sex lives! GREAT. Oh my gosh, that was just about the most horrible thing I've ever heard.
Go see "Thank You For Smoking." Good movie.
Ok, here's part II of my rant. So Wednesday, we had a guest speaker in endangered species class. She's a sea turtle researcher and professor in the FW department. She explained how people are still digging up sea turtle eggs (illegally) to sell. Why, might you ask, would there be a demand for sea turtle eggs? Because they're considered to be aphrodisiacs. YEAH. We've got a human population seven billion strong and growing, and we're using eggs of endangered species to improve our sex lives! GREAT. Oh my gosh, that was just about the most horrible thing I've ever heard.
Go see "Thank You For Smoking." Good movie.


1 Comments:
At 7:38 PM ,
Becky said...
First: Major sympathy for the mono diagnosis =( It's not fun, but at least your professors will be SUPER lenient with you. Perhaps you should also seek out Otter Pops. I hope you're over the initial horribleness quickly. It seems like about 50% of every college population goes through the mono at some point. From what I remember, it seemed like people got better, but were just run down and tired after the initial illness. Hope you're only feeling tired soon! =)
Secondly, the turtle problem (or should I say, human problem) is incredibly frustrating. I'm sure Andrew would be quite sad about all the thwarted turtle lives. And I love that you point out our human population's ridiculous growth -- as if we need to be having more reproductive sex! Honestly.
Thirdly, Andrew has already seen the film, so now that I know both of you have, I'm quite jealous. I guess after summer arrives i'll get around to seeing it?
Post a Comment
<< Home