After work today I prepared to go a bear huntin' with Scott. I met him in Pine Grove and we proceeded up the road, which turned into one hell of a backcountry four-wheeling route: huge boulders, foot deep ruts, shrubs so overgrown one couldn't see the road ahead. Now I know why his truck is totally covered in scratches. It took us a half hour to get up there, and then we sat and waited for like two and a half freaking hours before finally hearing bears vocalizing. And Becky and Andrew, it's doubly confirmed now: we were indeed in the VERY close company of bears at Lost Lake. Scott said they can walk silently even through brush, which explains why we didn't hear foliage thrashing about.
Unfortunately, no actual bear sightings. But it was exciting anyway. We heard several deer bounding off as we came back to the truck. I am finally warmed up from being out in the cold wind for so long!
Tomorrow's my last day at the 'paca ranch. Yay - glad I can exchange barn and pasture tidying for bug monitoring at the experiment station! Saturday I plan on getting up early and hiking up Bald Butte. Now that I've blogged it, I feel committed..
Ya'll go and check out my newly-updated photo album (it's under the links section).
Unfortunately, no actual bear sightings. But it was exciting anyway. We heard several deer bounding off as we came back to the truck. I am finally warmed up from being out in the cold wind for so long!
Tomorrow's my last day at the 'paca ranch. Yay - glad I can exchange barn and pasture tidying for bug monitoring at the experiment station! Saturday I plan on getting up early and hiking up Bald Butte. Now that I've blogged it, I feel committed..
Ya'll go and check out my newly-updated photo album (it's under the links section).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home