Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I didn't do a whole lot, since I slept like a sloth (for like ten and a half freaking hours last night and got up late). All the six to seven hour nights crept up on me. Finally around four we went to Routson Park. And, fanfare..the road down there is finally like, an actual graveled road, rather than a series of rocks and ruts. In fact, a normal car can now access the campsite. Amazing. I pretty much just explored the river, walked downstream about a mile, binoculars and camera in tow, and scanned the hillsides in hopes of seeing a bear or puma. I then came back on the bank above, through a lot of brush. Almost walked through a gigantic orb weaver's web. Then I waded up a stream, to where the beaver pond used to be. It's now unrecognizable. The dam has given way enough so that it's just all stream. And the vegetation is so thick I couldn't even see the lodge. Sad. I filmed beavers there once, and it was a really beautiful place.

I have 12 days of work left! Tuesday night I'm heading to Corvallis because Wednesday is the fish and wildlife club officer meeting. And Friday the family's heading over to Goat Rocks in Washington for a backpacking excursion. Yes, there are actually mountain goats! Very cool. They are adorable creatures.

Yesterday as I came home from work, there was a truck parked in the neighbor's driveway. There was an ATV and a massive old set of elk antlers in the back! Apparently someone found a bull elk carcass while out riding. Freaking lucky. I've always wanted to just come upon something like that. Yes, I think antlers are really cool. They add a touch of ruggedness to even a small garage. They were only four or five pointers, but the tines were massive.

I have nothing terribly exciting to discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home