Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Today was rather just ok. Not much occurred. I arose late, had some toast, and read a bit. I'm now reading Fast Food Nation, which I recommend to anyone that hasn't already cut fast food out of their dietary possibilities. Well, I still have an occasional blizzard and fries from DQ, but there's no way I'll ever set foot in a McDonalds again. Actually, I haven't been to McDonalds in like at least two years. Yeah, if I want Dippin' Dots I'm just going to have to wait till the fair.
F^$%in' McDonalds. They're one of the largest purchasers of aerial photography. They use it to predict where the suburbs are heading so they can get a head start on building their umpteenth thousand location. Some have even been shut down to avoid having union workers.

Anyways, today Tim and mom and I went to Sam-Walker national scenic area, where supposedly there are still Indian grass/wood huts in the earth and petroglyphs, but we didn't find any. They're not marked. The signs tell you to stay on the trail to protect wildlife habitat but tell of these ancient lairs and easels, expecting people to not want to find them? What the heck. It's a gorgeous area, and I've never seen so many blackberries. Acres of 'em. They were as big as gibberellin-sprayed Thompson seedless grapes. Crazy. Crazy delicious, that is! Also there were pear and apple and plum trees, no doubt planted by the early settlers. I dined on a lot of wild fruit today.

Yesterday I went to the hood and hung out at the estate sale (Tim's mom's place). Then I went to Taco del Mar and got a half vegetarian burrito, which was amazing, and to Dog River. I went home and puttered about a bit, and eventually walked up to the second bridge and floated down on a river rat. My back grew numb from that, but it was pretty damn hot, and I was bored.

Ok, so I've pretty much come to the conclusion that genetics suck. Or perhaps it's just the media. It's really unfortunate that I happen to believe that the models of AE, JC Penney, Land's End, The Gap, Hollister, Fossil, Abercrombie and Fitch, etc. etc. are the epitome of beauty. They're all the same: slim but with an appreciable bust, oval faces with perfect feminine cheekbones, small noses, large eyes, glorious hair that falls just right. Damn you, TV.
Friday, Mark at the experiment station commented (in an appropriate context) that I had really long arms. "You have long arms but you're still cute." Gee, thanks. Lanky arms and CUTE. Not attractive or beautiful. People still think I'm 15. Damn it. Damn it, I said!

Ok, I know that was a ranty post, but it is what's on my mind.

In good news, I'm learning to drive a stick shift and I'm finally going to get a credit card so I don't have to bug other people when I want a hard-to-find CD or DVD. It's a national wildlife federation card, and it has a Florida panther on it. 'Tis nifty. Also, since I stress out to the point of depression from classes, I'm probably going to drop one class and replace it with badminton. 'Cause there happened to be one spot left in badminton I, and I snatched it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home