Thus far this term has been a hell of a rollercoaster and unfortunately the majority of the ride has been downhill. I've had chronic and severe abdominal pain for the past week now, and I haven't figured out what it is..neither have any doctors I've seen. I do know it's not an ulcer though as I had that test done today. Stress (of course)? A super weird virus? The correct diagnosis remains elusive. All the doctor could conclusively say is that I have quite a bit of gas build-up in my stomach. And it is painful as heck. Major "ARGGH" here. Today a nurse gave me something like oral novacaine to see if my stomach could be numbed. Yep. It was a horrible clear gelatinous substance I had to choke down, and it ended up making me light-headed, tired, and unable to keep my eyes focused.
Tomorrow I start prilosec OTC.
In good news, the fish and wildlife club trip I planned went smoothly. The house in Seaside was nice (three stories, six bedrooms, two kitchens!) and everyone liked it despite its lack of hot tub. On Saturday morning we had pancakes and met a sea lion biologist in Astoria. We got to see about 15 California Sea Lions on the dock and two swimming harbor seals. He showed us some cool skulls and talked a lot about the research and we saw the holding pen. He also entertained us with some stories of spirited sea lions - including one which grabbed the cattle branding rod out of his hand and hit him with it. We then went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and then went to Big Creek Fish hatchery where we saw some ginormous frozen salmon and a few little deformed fish.
Sunday we got out of the house later than I planned for (we had to do a lot of cleaning up in hopes of getting our security deposit back) but it was ok cause we were still early in meeting Brian at Jewell Meadows. We went out on a wagon to a herd of about 60 cows and young bull elk. We tossed alfalfa out to them and some approached within 25 feet, so I got a lot of cool pictures. We then went to see the herd of mature bulls - they were so impressive! About 40 of them, some with 7-point antlers. Again, tons of pictures. Several were sparring over the alfalfa and we got to hear that characteristic squealing noise (you know what I'm talkin' about Beck :)). We went back to the visitor center where we watched a video on elk capture and relocation and Brian showed us some truly massive antlers - by far the largest elk antlers I've seen. They had mass like you wouldn't believe, like 9" across the main beam where several points took off. He said they knew of an elk on the refuge that had antlers weighing 19 lbs. each - imagine carrying around 38 pounds of antler! It was very cool. He also gave us two smallish branched antlers for our educational stuff.
On the way back, we stopped for some food. I got an amazing sandwich at a cute little cafe next to a Dairy Queen (I'd asked the server at DQ if they had garden burgers and she said the place next door did but I'd have to wait 45 minutes for food - a big fat ugly lie as I had an excellent sandwich in ten minutes).
Upon arriving home, I found that once again my car wouldn't start. Got a jump, and no problems since, so I think it was the door Matt said was slightly ajar which caused the battery to drain due to the light.
Ok, I'm going to go attempt fun.
Tomorrow I start prilosec OTC.
In good news, the fish and wildlife club trip I planned went smoothly. The house in Seaside was nice (three stories, six bedrooms, two kitchens!) and everyone liked it despite its lack of hot tub. On Saturday morning we had pancakes and met a sea lion biologist in Astoria. We got to see about 15 California Sea Lions on the dock and two swimming harbor seals. He showed us some cool skulls and talked a lot about the research and we saw the holding pen. He also entertained us with some stories of spirited sea lions - including one which grabbed the cattle branding rod out of his hand and hit him with it. We then went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and then went to Big Creek Fish hatchery where we saw some ginormous frozen salmon and a few little deformed fish.
Sunday we got out of the house later than I planned for (we had to do a lot of cleaning up in hopes of getting our security deposit back) but it was ok cause we were still early in meeting Brian at Jewell Meadows. We went out on a wagon to a herd of about 60 cows and young bull elk. We tossed alfalfa out to them and some approached within 25 feet, so I got a lot of cool pictures. We then went to see the herd of mature bulls - they were so impressive! About 40 of them, some with 7-point antlers. Again, tons of pictures. Several were sparring over the alfalfa and we got to hear that characteristic squealing noise (you know what I'm talkin' about Beck :)). We went back to the visitor center where we watched a video on elk capture and relocation and Brian showed us some truly massive antlers - by far the largest elk antlers I've seen. They had mass like you wouldn't believe, like 9" across the main beam where several points took off. He said they knew of an elk on the refuge that had antlers weighing 19 lbs. each - imagine carrying around 38 pounds of antler! It was very cool. He also gave us two smallish branched antlers for our educational stuff.
On the way back, we stopped for some food. I got an amazing sandwich at a cute little cafe next to a Dairy Queen (I'd asked the server at DQ if they had garden burgers and she said the place next door did but I'd have to wait 45 minutes for food - a big fat ugly lie as I had an excellent sandwich in ten minutes).
Upon arriving home, I found that once again my car wouldn't start. Got a jump, and no problems since, so I think it was the door Matt said was slightly ajar which caused the battery to drain due to the light.
Ok, I'm going to go attempt fun.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home