Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, May 14, 2007

Who's keeping up with Medium? I can't wait for this week's concluding episode. We shall soon see who is decapitating people. Luckily I only consider myself a devoted fan of one TV show, because seriously some of these shows are ridiculous. At least the huge onslaught of "reality tv" has died down.

Friday evening mum and Tim (and the neurotic cocker spaniel) came down to C-town for a visit. I expected them to be here earlier so held off on basic hunger management as I knew we'd go for dinner out. We got to Nearly Normal's before my stomach digested itself though, and we all enjoyed their most excellent fresh carrot juice. I had a rice-tofu burrito with homemade enchilada sauce and it was excellent (I just finished it off tonight, as it was huge). We got them settled in the guest room and made plans for the next day. I got to visit with Graham, Kauffman, Mandy, and Erin H. It was a Hood River reunion in AZA's lobby! The next day we all got up early for my internship orientation. It was a long-ass orientation - 9:00 to 3:30, but I felt it was worthwhile. It focused mainly on cultural awareness and perception. I won a "for when there's no doctor" kit with a mini first aid kit, bandages, and purell. Yay for expected injuries. They fed us copious quantities of carbs (I couldn't resist the scone with my coffee, or the oatmeal raisin cookay that came with my veggie sandwich). After gathering the frozen weasels and my baggage back at AZA and saying farewell to Matt, we headed to Myrtle Creek for a visit with one of Tim's good trapping buddies. He has a super nice house decorated to my standards with multiple deer heads and pelts. We chatted for a long time, and mum and I set to work on making a salad to go with the elk steak, potatoes, and carrots Jerry was cooking in a crock pot. During our vegetable foray, we delved into abortion and women's rights, Bush, the sorry state of the environment, and the war. It was a grand ol' time. The elk steak was freaking excellent. He cooked it with wine, spices, and morel mushrooms - incredible. I appreciate men with good cooking skills.

Mum and I watched most of Dream Girls. It started out like normal, was pretty good, and then when the characters started coming into conflict with one another, they'd belt out their worries and feelings in song. I started laughing. I just can't take movies that aren't supposed to be musicals that turn into them...come on, no one can come up with words that rhyme in a coherent song on the spot as they're experiencing severe emotions! We didn't finish it 'cause it was late.

We got up, ate waffles, and left for Dean's, a taxidermist fifteen minutes away. He has an amazing place, exotic animals, a territorial white pomeranian, and a museum-like room. Live rattlesnakes he's caught with his son, skulls of unidentifiable type, and of course, lots o' dead animals preserved in jars and by taxidermy. I'm totally going to have him freeze dry me a shrew-mole I found in 2005 while antler hunting.

I directed mum to the place I'm living next year when we arrived back in town and then we ate at McMenamins, which is becoming a regular occurrence.

So, I'm back at school. I had my second entomology test today, which went smoothly. And I am so freaking excited about living off-campus next year. I'm going to have the companionship of a gorgeous husky/malamute, a rottweiler mix, a boston terrier, and three cats. And a pretty cool roommate of course.

Noteworthy news o' the last bit of sunlight (because "day" is too common): I went shopping today. Tired from lack of sleep and test-taking, I just about went to sleep again, but then decided I needed to get something done. It was fun. I decided I shouldn't miss another college of ag. student awards dinner, so I finally bought myself a "business/casual" ensemble. It is nifty. White pants and a white 3/4 length sleeve top with black broken stripes. It's actually not as tacky as I make it sound. I cheated and had a woman working at the store help me pick a top to go with the pants because I really shouldn't trust myself. I also found super cute strawberry ice cream colored capris. Second hand stores are such a nice alternative to huge-ass chain stores.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home