The break is winding down, and I have mixed feelings about it. I have a full schedule of classes ahead of me, which means I actually have to start doing work again. But then, they should all be interesting. I will be taking medical and public health entomology, systematics of mammals, wildlife in agricultural ecosystems, human impacts on ecosystems, and animal behavior. Plus I have a weekend course wildlife capture and immobilization. Should be busy!
I've had an eventful weekend. Friday I met Clair and Brianna in Hood River and we stayed in Bend for two nights for Micah's wedding with most of the fish and wildlife crew. I experienced my first game of cheap beer pong (Ian and Matt and I had gone into Wal Mart to get Solo cups and ping pong balls...how obvious is that?) and then became inebriated in short order with some anise-esque jagermeifter. Yes, Justin lost me temporarily to alcohol...we had been talking on the phone and Jasmine was recruited to drag me out of my room. After the beer pong we headed out to the sledding hill that Ian had scoped out (most everyone but me had gone sledding the previous night). It was all iced over and incredible with saucer style sleds (and the snow shovel for the more daring). I was definitely aware that this was a dangerous activity to be partaking in, so I braked quite a bit. Matt and I went down together a couple times, which was incredible...so freaking fast. And there were like four jumps. It was pretty much the most amazing (and dangerous) sledding I've ever participated in. Luckily all survived with no injuries.
Micah's wedding was nice, for the religious type. He married his first girlfriend, and they're already in Hawaii for their honeymoon. Matt was pretty bummed as Micah will be moving to Madras and he's emphasized the fact that he's not a good communicator. We saw a fork by spike buck and a doe en route to the wedding, right on the golf course.
I got home fairly early on Sunday and called Justin, who I convinced to come over for two nights rather than one for new year's. It was the best arbitrary calendar turn-over ever for me. Usually I sit around eating hors-doevres with mom and sometimes Linda and Scott and watch the ball drop on tv. This year Dick Clark and Times Square did not factor in. We watched fireworks from the valley floor to the hills from our deck, heard someone yell out "happy freaking new year," and laughed over the plastic horn thingies mom got out (sounded like a broken duck call from a desperate hunter to me). Earlier we'd taken a snow trek across the canal which resulted in painful loss of feeling in Justin's feet. I seem to take for granted my insulated hiking boots and the fact that not everyone has such shoes. I tried making up for it with making a fire and lunch. We discovered a junco inside the house which I captured and set free. He seemed to have the wind knocked out of him, but after he rested on the deck, I picked him up gently and he flew to an arborvita. Hopefully he has survived.
We listened to much music and watched 10 Things I Hate About You because he needed to see it.
I miss him.
I've had an eventful weekend. Friday I met Clair and Brianna in Hood River and we stayed in Bend for two nights for Micah's wedding with most of the fish and wildlife crew. I experienced my first game of cheap beer pong (Ian and Matt and I had gone into Wal Mart to get Solo cups and ping pong balls...how obvious is that?) and then became inebriated in short order with some anise-esque jagermeifter. Yes, Justin lost me temporarily to alcohol...we had been talking on the phone and Jasmine was recruited to drag me out of my room. After the beer pong we headed out to the sledding hill that Ian had scoped out (most everyone but me had gone sledding the previous night). It was all iced over and incredible with saucer style sleds (and the snow shovel for the more daring). I was definitely aware that this was a dangerous activity to be partaking in, so I braked quite a bit. Matt and I went down together a couple times, which was incredible...so freaking fast. And there were like four jumps. It was pretty much the most amazing (and dangerous) sledding I've ever participated in. Luckily all survived with no injuries.
Micah's wedding was nice, for the religious type. He married his first girlfriend, and they're already in Hawaii for their honeymoon. Matt was pretty bummed as Micah will be moving to Madras and he's emphasized the fact that he's not a good communicator. We saw a fork by spike buck and a doe en route to the wedding, right on the golf course.
I got home fairly early on Sunday and called Justin, who I convinced to come over for two nights rather than one for new year's. It was the best arbitrary calendar turn-over ever for me. Usually I sit around eating hors-doevres with mom and sometimes Linda and Scott and watch the ball drop on tv. This year Dick Clark and Times Square did not factor in. We watched fireworks from the valley floor to the hills from our deck, heard someone yell out "happy freaking new year," and laughed over the plastic horn thingies mom got out (sounded like a broken duck call from a desperate hunter to me). Earlier we'd taken a snow trek across the canal which resulted in painful loss of feeling in Justin's feet. I seem to take for granted my insulated hiking boots and the fact that not everyone has such shoes. I tried making up for it with making a fire and lunch. We discovered a junco inside the house which I captured and set free. He seemed to have the wind knocked out of him, but after he rested on the deck, I picked him up gently and he flew to an arborvita. Hopefully he has survived.
We listened to much music and watched 10 Things I Hate About You because he needed to see it.
I miss him.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home