Weekend Update
Justin was here and now he's gone :( The weekend went far too fast as usual! He arrived Friday night pretty late so we just hung out at home. On Saturday we went to Alturas; we were hoping to check out the shops but the town freaking closes at 3 in the afternoon. But we did eat out at Nipa's California, so that was good. And it was a nice drive. His parents let him bring down their new Hyundai car, which is adorable, despite its lack of AC. So we took that. Plus it gets super gas mileage.
Oh so Eric (one of the fish and wildlife firefighters) was saying how Justin would probably hate him. He says that drummers can't count to four. As it turns out, they went through the same music program at Clackamas and Eric actually sat behind Justin in a class. Needless to say, they hit it off. It was immensely entertaining. They were talking away about microphone placement for recording and work and whatnot and Allie and Jessa and I were just sitting there exchanging glances, shaking our heads. Hilarious. But I'm glad they get along.
Saturday night Allie, Jessa, Justin, Eric, and I went to the bar, which was a riot as usual. Allie had her usual queue of eligible bachelors visit her, one after the other. Justin was surprised at some of the songs they played. I had one pint and a white russian. Pretty decent.
Sunday Justin and I went to Dog Lake and swam for a bit (well, he demonstrated proper swimming strokes while I paddled about) and admired the tiny frogs hopping about. We came home for dinner and then headed out to the hot springs. Good times, beautiful sky. Saw two coyotes and some deer on the drive home. Monday we pretty much just hung out here again. Then he had to leave, and I had to do one last bat survey - a guy accompanied us to take photos and ask questions for some media presentation. Luckily we caught bats! Not very many, but four different species. A cute little juvenile silver-haired too. The pond was ridiculously diverse. There were gigantic water beetles and predacious water bugs (2'' long), leeches, wirligig beetles, waterboatman beetles, pacific tree frogs, garter snakes, snails, and really cool salamanders - they were about 6'' long, and marbled green on a dark brown/black. Have yet to ID the species. On our drive back through the forest we came upon a gray fox walking down the road!! So cool! I saw its dark tail stripe and tip.
Today Heather and I went up above Crump Lake to set out three remotes for recording bat calls. Amazing views...and we found all the right spots that Glenn had identified as well as the ponds he wanted us to check for trapping. Saw some antelope hunters out scouting. There are beautiful patches of mixed forest up there that remind me somewhat of the Waterberg Plateau. There are hardy leathery-leafed trees and aspen, junipers, and lots of underbrush. Tomorrow we go out again to collect them. Usual bumpy road of course - 10 mph for 21 miles of driving.
Justin was here and now he's gone :( The weekend went far too fast as usual! He arrived Friday night pretty late so we just hung out at home. On Saturday we went to Alturas; we were hoping to check out the shops but the town freaking closes at 3 in the afternoon. But we did eat out at Nipa's California, so that was good. And it was a nice drive. His parents let him bring down their new Hyundai car, which is adorable, despite its lack of AC. So we took that. Plus it gets super gas mileage.
Oh so Eric (one of the fish and wildlife firefighters) was saying how Justin would probably hate him. He says that drummers can't count to four. As it turns out, they went through the same music program at Clackamas and Eric actually sat behind Justin in a class. Needless to say, they hit it off. It was immensely entertaining. They were talking away about microphone placement for recording and work and whatnot and Allie and Jessa and I were just sitting there exchanging glances, shaking our heads. Hilarious. But I'm glad they get along.
Saturday night Allie, Jessa, Justin, Eric, and I went to the bar, which was a riot as usual. Allie had her usual queue of eligible bachelors visit her, one after the other. Justin was surprised at some of the songs they played. I had one pint and a white russian. Pretty decent.
Sunday Justin and I went to Dog Lake and swam for a bit (well, he demonstrated proper swimming strokes while I paddled about) and admired the tiny frogs hopping about. We came home for dinner and then headed out to the hot springs. Good times, beautiful sky. Saw two coyotes and some deer on the drive home. Monday we pretty much just hung out here again. Then he had to leave, and I had to do one last bat survey - a guy accompanied us to take photos and ask questions for some media presentation. Luckily we caught bats! Not very many, but four different species. A cute little juvenile silver-haired too. The pond was ridiculously diverse. There were gigantic water beetles and predacious water bugs (2'' long), leeches, wirligig beetles, waterboatman beetles, pacific tree frogs, garter snakes, snails, and really cool salamanders - they were about 6'' long, and marbled green on a dark brown/black. Have yet to ID the species. On our drive back through the forest we came upon a gray fox walking down the road!! So cool! I saw its dark tail stripe and tip.
Today Heather and I went up above Crump Lake to set out three remotes for recording bat calls. Amazing views...and we found all the right spots that Glenn had identified as well as the ponds he wanted us to check for trapping. Saw some antelope hunters out scouting. There are beautiful patches of mixed forest up there that remind me somewhat of the Waterberg Plateau. There are hardy leathery-leafed trees and aspen, junipers, and lots of underbrush. Tomorrow we go out again to collect them. Usual bumpy road of course - 10 mph for 21 miles of driving.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home