Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Lakeview Culture

I made chocolate chip cookies again tonight. They again turned out perfect. Becky this is the best recipe ever! They even "crack" on the top, which makes them look...bakery-ish.

Yesterday was INTERESTING. Jessa and Allie and I were invited to a party, for the bored young people of Lakeview. It was quite the interesting mix, because there are seasonals from all over the country (well, mostly various places in Oregon, but hey) plus local gen-u-ine cowboys - we're talking gallon hats, leather boots, and big-as-your-hand belt buckles. It's strange...hick boys playing Jessa and another botanist in beer pong, three cowboys standing with their arms crossed, a black man from Texas has a dance-off with one of said hick boys, a 24 year-old college-dropout UPS guy that looks like a football player talking about his UPS shorts...yeah. We ended up going to the one bar and that was a trip. Downright sketchy...and way more people there than I expected. I freaking slow danced with one of the cowboys, and then "swing" danced (followed his lead slowly) with another cowboy, after much reluctance. Yeah, you've got to see this place to believe it. There was a fine non-typical mule deer rack on the wall next to the elk shoulder mount though. Nice touch.

Friday Heather and I went scouting along Abert Rim for potential study sites. Not terribly successful, but I did see a herd of ewe and lamb bighorn sheep, lots of pronghorn, a coyote, and a golden eagle. There were also tons of itty bitty Pacific Tree Frogs at one pond. I found a fairly intact jackrabbit skull and unidentified hatched bird eggs (sage grouse?).

Today, we went to the BLM/Forest Service softball game. Of course I just watched. It was fun. Jessa and Ria made delicious coconut rice with chicken, and we got soft serve ice cream afterwards. Also went to this amazing thrift/junk store, where I found a diminutive cast iron skillet (which Jessa instructed me on how to "season") and a New Zealand kiwi bird tee shirt. There's a cute ruffly skirt from the '40s there but it's a bit too small for me. Damn, women were tiny back then or what?!

Anyway, it's been a good weekend. Tomorrow people want to go to K-Falls but I'm thinking of not, since there's really nothing I want there.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger Ricki said...

    Yeah, Tim had told me Lakeview was cowboy country :-) Guess what I heard? I saw Jonathan's mom at that party/band last night. He goes into the Army this Thursday, to GA. She wasn't happy about his decision.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home