A Little Help from My Friends
An eventful weekend finally! On Saturday night, Jessa, Allie, and I went up to Hart Mountain, with Eric following (closely) behind. We met the guys up there, and us four went to the hot springs. It was pretty nifty - basically a big concrete hot tub with water piped in. The only issue was the squishy algae on the bottom. The night was dark and star gazing was good. Our peace was interrupted when a group of seven older folks (ranging in age from around 30 to mid 50s) showed up, drunk as hell and raving loud. It was RIDUNCULOUS. There was an older couple amongst them, the woman was offering tequila and trying to get her yellow lab to jump in the pool. The man was commenting on the pool's plant aspects, interpreting the soft algae on the bottom as "jism," and the five foot tall surrounding wall as "for sexual purposes." Oh old people.
Anyway, that was interesting. Very tired on our return, so we went to bed immediately. Sunday Eric took Allie and I to K Falls for a shopping spree and Dark Knight. We watched some hick boy "dance" in the back of the pickup in front of us, and at one point his wild swinging (scarily) synced with our music. I bought two pair of capris, a dark purple tank top, and a Dog World magazine. The movie was very good. The way back was slightly unnerving, and I decided I wouldn't be riding with Eric any time driving in the dark is involved. Going 80+ on a dark highway where there are free range cattle is SO not a good idea. Anyway, a cottontail rabbit dashed across the road in front of us, and about two minutes later our headlights illuminated glowing eyes floating quickly across the road. They disappeared in the roadside ditch and then reappeared on the hillside. Our lights allowed me to see that it was a bobcat - I even saw the black bars on its tail. So cool! Two bobcat sightings within a month, and this after seeing ONE my whole life living by Mt. Hood.
An eventful weekend finally! On Saturday night, Jessa, Allie, and I went up to Hart Mountain, with Eric following (closely) behind. We met the guys up there, and us four went to the hot springs. It was pretty nifty - basically a big concrete hot tub with water piped in. The only issue was the squishy algae on the bottom. The night was dark and star gazing was good. Our peace was interrupted when a group of seven older folks (ranging in age from around 30 to mid 50s) showed up, drunk as hell and raving loud. It was RIDUNCULOUS. There was an older couple amongst them, the woman was offering tequila and trying to get her yellow lab to jump in the pool. The man was commenting on the pool's plant aspects, interpreting the soft algae on the bottom as "jism," and the five foot tall surrounding wall as "for sexual purposes." Oh old people.
Anyway, that was interesting. Very tired on our return, so we went to bed immediately. Sunday Eric took Allie and I to K Falls for a shopping spree and Dark Knight. We watched some hick boy "dance" in the back of the pickup in front of us, and at one point his wild swinging (scarily) synced with our music. I bought two pair of capris, a dark purple tank top, and a Dog World magazine. The movie was very good. The way back was slightly unnerving, and I decided I wouldn't be riding with Eric any time driving in the dark is involved. Going 80+ on a dark highway where there are free range cattle is SO not a good idea. Anyway, a cottontail rabbit dashed across the road in front of us, and about two minutes later our headlights illuminated glowing eyes floating quickly across the road. They disappeared in the roadside ditch and then reappeared on the hillside. Our lights allowed me to see that it was a bobcat - I even saw the black bars on its tail. So cool! Two bobcat sightings within a month, and this after seeing ONE my whole life living by Mt. Hood.
Yesterday I had this realization that, after four years of living with roommates at OSU, this is the first time I'm actually enjoying it. We actually do stuff together and converse. It's a good thing. Today, it was back to work early in the morning. I finished the last two long GIS training exercises, then Todd helped me start with the raptor nest sites. So kind of cool. Tomorrow though, I think it's bat processing for me - finally!


1 Comments:
At 8:21 AM ,
Ricki said...
Stick with that about not riding with Eric, scary. Funny how people don't think about hitting animals at night and stop-ability. Summer's been too busy but hope to visit you.
Post a Comment
<< Home