Caution: Rogue Robots
Tomorrow I return to work. And I'm glad. It's been a rather boring week - reading, watching tv, wasting time on the internet - and I feel like I need to make some money. Yesterday, Jessa and Allie and I went to Alturas to the holiday market, where we met our crazy check out boy again. We have tentatively decided to ask for his number and take him out...somewhere. It'd be freaking hilarious. Anyway, I got some good ingredients for new recipes to try, and I broke down and bought free range, organic chicken breasts - which I justify with this reasoning: I'm pretty darn sure most fish available commercially is from terribly overexploited fisheries, and small-scale poultry farms have GOT to be more sustainable than commercial fisheries. Plus, chickens are far more efficient at transferring vegetable energy to protein than cows or pigs. Really, I just missed eating chicken. So it'll probably be a once a month sort of deal.
Last night Ria's dad took us all out to dinner. I wanted to try the solitary vegetarian entree they had, vegetal fromage, which turned out to be a plate of vegetables arranged by type embedded in a thick swaddling of melted cheddar cheese...we're talking a fistful of cheese. Not exactly the gourmet meal I expected. In fact, it reminded me of college food. At least the vegetables had been fresh, not frozen...but for goodness sakes, a light grating of cheese would have preferred!
Friday night we all went to see Wall E. Which is absolutely endearing! And depressing, due to the fact that Earth is so littered with garbage that it's uninhabitable and humans left 700 years ago to become consumer-driven blobs in hover chairs, less intelligent than the robots that serve them. Anyway, Wall E is adorable. I love the cockroach too.
Tonight mum and Tim met Justin's parents and brother for the first time at the Ringo concert, and I wasn't there to witness (and mediate). Hopefully all is going well. Wish I could have been there.
Tomorrow I return to work. And I'm glad. It's been a rather boring week - reading, watching tv, wasting time on the internet - and I feel like I need to make some money. Yesterday, Jessa and Allie and I went to Alturas to the holiday market, where we met our crazy check out boy again. We have tentatively decided to ask for his number and take him out...somewhere. It'd be freaking hilarious. Anyway, I got some good ingredients for new recipes to try, and I broke down and bought free range, organic chicken breasts - which I justify with this reasoning: I'm pretty darn sure most fish available commercially is from terribly overexploited fisheries, and small-scale poultry farms have GOT to be more sustainable than commercial fisheries. Plus, chickens are far more efficient at transferring vegetable energy to protein than cows or pigs. Really, I just missed eating chicken. So it'll probably be a once a month sort of deal.
Last night Ria's dad took us all out to dinner. I wanted to try the solitary vegetarian entree they had, vegetal fromage, which turned out to be a plate of vegetables arranged by type embedded in a thick swaddling of melted cheddar cheese...we're talking a fistful of cheese. Not exactly the gourmet meal I expected. In fact, it reminded me of college food. At least the vegetables had been fresh, not frozen...but for goodness sakes, a light grating of cheese would have preferred!
Friday night we all went to see Wall E. Which is absolutely endearing! And depressing, due to the fact that Earth is so littered with garbage that it's uninhabitable and humans left 700 years ago to become consumer-driven blobs in hover chairs, less intelligent than the robots that serve them. Anyway, Wall E is adorable. I love the cockroach too.
Tonight mum and Tim met Justin's parents and brother for the first time at the Ringo concert, and I wasn't there to witness (and mediate). Hopefully all is going well. Wish I could have been there.


1 Comments:
At 9:46 PM ,
Becky said...
Yay! I'm so glad you saw Wall-E. We watched Short Circuit (80's film, set in Oregon, about robot #5 that "comes alive" with a lightening bolt). Funny, because it so totally was one of the films that contributed to Wall-E... like when #5 learns to dance to Travolta on TV!
Also: sometimes I eat chicken at restaurants (like tonight). And I broke down and bought another gallo salami. I'm definitely a worse flexitarian when Andrew's around...
Post a Comment
<< Home