Just say "no" to tanned horseriding cowboys
Finally have internet here! There was a short in one of our cables which the technician found and fixed today. Also, I have a PO Box here, so if anyone wants it, email me.
It's been a very busy first two weeks of work. This last one was filled with more training...defensive driving, CPR/first aid (in Paisley, an even smaller town), a new employee orientation, three short computer courses and quizzes to pass...plus on Wednesday I went to Silverlake to help survey for pygmy rabbit burrows. So hot out there in the sagebrush, but we did find many burrows and Heather and I saw one bunny. Tiny little fellow. Also, a pronghorn buck that raced our truck before cutting in front of us (a common anti-predator behavior in pronghorn, probably arising thousands of years ago when they had to outrun cheetahs). Oh, and on the way a doe with a tiny spotted fawn. Adorable. Yesterday I accompanied the rabbit and bat crew up there again to set up the trailers at the ranger station where they'll be staying - about 10 miles out of Lakeview we saw a big group of buck deer - probably 10 of them, right up against the fence by the side of the road. So cool! I wish we could have stopped for a picture. Coming back we saw a marmot scurrying across the road. Yes, a genuine yellow bellied marmot. So adorable. We are almost 5,000 ft. elevation, but it's so odd seeing one in the heat of the day.
After returning from the trailer hauling trip, I took a three hour nap cause I'd gotten up at five...and today I slept in till about 11:30. I've averaged six hours of sleep the past two weeks, so I figure it's about time to catch up! Of course Monday we're doing our first bat survey so I won't have to go in until 3, which will be nice. I'm excited to handle some bats since my titer came back positive.
Finally have internet here! There was a short in one of our cables which the technician found and fixed today. Also, I have a PO Box here, so if anyone wants it, email me.
It's been a very busy first two weeks of work. This last one was filled with more training...defensive driving, CPR/first aid (in Paisley, an even smaller town), a new employee orientation, three short computer courses and quizzes to pass...plus on Wednesday I went to Silverlake to help survey for pygmy rabbit burrows. So hot out there in the sagebrush, but we did find many burrows and Heather and I saw one bunny. Tiny little fellow. Also, a pronghorn buck that raced our truck before cutting in front of us (a common anti-predator behavior in pronghorn, probably arising thousands of years ago when they had to outrun cheetahs). Oh, and on the way a doe with a tiny spotted fawn. Adorable. Yesterday I accompanied the rabbit and bat crew up there again to set up the trailers at the ranger station where they'll be staying - about 10 miles out of Lakeview we saw a big group of buck deer - probably 10 of them, right up against the fence by the side of the road. So cool! I wish we could have stopped for a picture. Coming back we saw a marmot scurrying across the road. Yes, a genuine yellow bellied marmot. So adorable. We are almost 5,000 ft. elevation, but it's so odd seeing one in the heat of the day.
After returning from the trailer hauling trip, I took a three hour nap cause I'd gotten up at five...and today I slept in till about 11:30. I've averaged six hours of sleep the past two weeks, so I figure it's about time to catch up! Of course Monday we're doing our first bat survey so I won't have to go in until 3, which will be nice. I'm excited to handle some bats since my titer came back positive.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home