Rural Oregon, here I come
So I have got me a job lined up. Finally. The process has been rather extensive - and I'm still in it, tons of paperwork to work for any federal agency. I am going to be working for the BLM in Lakeview. On bats. And the best part is, my friend Brandi from botany class will be on the same work crew - and this will be her third year. Originally I was going to be a pygmy rabbit tech., but since I've had my rabies series the biologist switched me. Luckily there will still be occasional opportunity to work with the rabbits. Brandi said I'll pretty much be in waders all summer - capturing bats over water with nets! Processing individuals and taggin' em! Oh yeah, this is going to be crazy fun. I am going to rent space in a trailer for like $200 a month which is like half of what I'm paying now. Plus, pronghorn antelope and coyotes in abundance. I can't wait to get out of the suburbs of flat Corvallis. The only bad thing is it's practically in California and I'll be like 6.5 hours from Justin :( - but Brandi said the work schedule is four 10-hr. days on, three days off, so there is opportunity to meet up. I will be packing up after finals and leaving the day before I start work - not exactly looking forward to the long drive, but I suppose the scenery will be nice. Plus, an excuse to get coffee.
I will definitely miss home though - I don't really see myself driving all the way there on my time off, unless I take "sick" leave for a week - this period from the beginning of spring term to the end of this job will no doubt be the greatest span of time I've spent away from home.
In other news, I have finished my final project for investigations in population dynamics, which is awesome - that class is finished now -no final exam. I haven't started studying yet for finals...lack motivation. But I have solid As in all my classes so I'm not really worried. This last weekend I went to Justin's; on Saturday we met Larry and rode the max downtown for food at a place called Henry's, which was super nice and they had a two page beer list. Huckleberry cream ale! Larry got one that smelled and tasted like fresh blueberry muffin. Crazy stuff. Not surprisingly, Justin got a raspberry-flavored affair. I had a halibut sandwich which was tasty. Justin committed the ultimate sin and got a beef sandwich. But I'm pretty lenient on him.
That night we stayed over at Larry's - watched Terminator 2 on Blu-Ray which was cool - and yes, I am proud to say that my childhood celebrity crush was Edward Furlong. Justin had to get up at 5 for the early shift, and I slept in till like noon. We headed to Justin's, went out to Dairy Queen, and then went to the Rush concert, which was loud, and very good, but honestly not really my thing. But hey, flames and lasers.
I really could have driven back to Corvallis after the concert, but I was lazy and just stayed over. Missed pop. dy. and wetlands on Monday...but didn't really miss much I don't think. So, yeah, it was all good.
Today was my last wednesday of school ever!
So I have got me a job lined up. Finally. The process has been rather extensive - and I'm still in it, tons of paperwork to work for any federal agency. I am going to be working for the BLM in Lakeview. On bats. And the best part is, my friend Brandi from botany class will be on the same work crew - and this will be her third year. Originally I was going to be a pygmy rabbit tech., but since I've had my rabies series the biologist switched me. Luckily there will still be occasional opportunity to work with the rabbits. Brandi said I'll pretty much be in waders all summer - capturing bats over water with nets! Processing individuals and taggin' em! Oh yeah, this is going to be crazy fun. I am going to rent space in a trailer for like $200 a month which is like half of what I'm paying now. Plus, pronghorn antelope and coyotes in abundance. I can't wait to get out of the suburbs of flat Corvallis. The only bad thing is it's practically in California and I'll be like 6.5 hours from Justin :( - but Brandi said the work schedule is four 10-hr. days on, three days off, so there is opportunity to meet up. I will be packing up after finals and leaving the day before I start work - not exactly looking forward to the long drive, but I suppose the scenery will be nice. Plus, an excuse to get coffee.
I will definitely miss home though - I don't really see myself driving all the way there on my time off, unless I take "sick" leave for a week - this period from the beginning of spring term to the end of this job will no doubt be the greatest span of time I've spent away from home.
In other news, I have finished my final project for investigations in population dynamics, which is awesome - that class is finished now -no final exam. I haven't started studying yet for finals...lack motivation. But I have solid As in all my classes so I'm not really worried. This last weekend I went to Justin's; on Saturday we met Larry and rode the max downtown for food at a place called Henry's, which was super nice and they had a two page beer list. Huckleberry cream ale! Larry got one that smelled and tasted like fresh blueberry muffin. Crazy stuff. Not surprisingly, Justin got a raspberry-flavored affair. I had a halibut sandwich which was tasty. Justin committed the ultimate sin and got a beef sandwich. But I'm pretty lenient on him.
That night we stayed over at Larry's - watched Terminator 2 on Blu-Ray which was cool - and yes, I am proud to say that my childhood celebrity crush was Edward Furlong. Justin had to get up at 5 for the early shift, and I slept in till like noon. We headed to Justin's, went out to Dairy Queen, and then went to the Rush concert, which was loud, and very good, but honestly not really my thing. But hey, flames and lasers.
I really could have driven back to Corvallis after the concert, but I was lazy and just stayed over. Missed pop. dy. and wetlands on Monday...but didn't really miss much I don't think. So, yeah, it was all good.
Today was my last wednesday of school ever!


2 Comments:
At 5:40 PM ,
Becky said...
"my childhood celebrity crush was Edward Furlong"
ME TOO!
At 8:33 AM ,
Ricki said...
who IS Edward Furlong?
Post a Comment
<< Home