Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Let Down

I was all set for summer employment today...for about one minute.

The BLM in Lakeview needed more technicians for a pygmy rabbit study, so said my friend from botany, Brandi. So she emailed her boss, gave him my details (including the fact that I was graduating since the flyer I saw listed enrollment for fall term as a requirement of employment), and he left me a message. I called him back, he said to send over my resume and transcript, and an hour after I did so he left another message, basically saying "welcome to the team." But after that message he left another one, asking if I was enrolling for fall term, either undergrad or graduate level. So I call him back, say "no," and he tells me how he can't hire me because I'm not going to be eligible for the SCEP program and since I missed the deadline to apply for seasonal positions with the BLM there's no way I can get in. He told me my friend must have overlooked this detail, but I'm sure it was he who overlooked it since Brandi had told him of my graduation. He told me I had one of the best references he's ever talked to (I'm guessing he either called Cathryn or Allison from the experiment station). Major bummer. Housing would have been provided, and they would have trained me in telemetry work.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:00 AM , Blogger Ricki said...

    Damn technicalities and govt red tape. And I was so looking forward to seeing Lakeview for the first time & checking out Tim's property. Ya just gotta hang in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home