Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Friday, February 25, 2011

Rant:
Why do young women choose to become pregnant and have children before they've established for themselves a stable and secure financial future? I know so many women I've gone to high school and college with that have children or are pregnant, and the majority don't have a secure job (well, as secure as you can get in these economic times). I don't want to be judgemental, but people are always posting things on FB about how hard things are for them and it's difficult to ignore when there are obvious options. Poor planning and decision-making. I just don't understand, with the widely available birth control choices at county health departments that offer sliding fee or free contraception, why people would go without. And why would someone plan on having a child when they cannot even support themselves? When they have bills and debts they cannot pay? When they do not even have basic health insurance for themselves? It seems like a recipe for a disaster, a too-soon toss into the possibility of poverty. It also seems that the children brought up from these situations don't have as good of a chance to reach their full potential. There is plenty of time to have children! After you have reached your own personal goals and are secure. Everybody would be happier...

1 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM , Blogger Ricki said...

    I'm glad you're pursuing your self first. A dog makes the best "first child."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home