Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Today was better than yesterday. For one it was really nice out, and it just wasn't as boring as yesterday. Plus I have little homework, and offsite first tomorrow, which means I can actually stay up about as late as I usually do on weekends.

The big news: I got a nice shiny little portfolio from Pacific University with an acceptance letter, and I also am a "presidential scholar," which means they're giving me $8,000 which is renewable every year! Definitely going to be tough to decide where to go. If Pacific had the same program as OSU, I would definitely go there. I don't know, I just can't see myself going to OSU. It's a huge state university! I just prefer smaller classes I guess.

This morning I had to get up bright and early (well early atleast) to go show those fruit flies who's boss. I arrived in the biology room a bit before 7:30, and Sherry was already there so we hurriedly set up and started knocking them out and sorting. We got a few vials started. We ended up being late for English which proved to be amusing (Zen: "Merrie, that's gotta be your first tardy in four years.."). Then the discussion turned to my now sullied/tarnished reputation. Hey, I prefer to think of my reputation as having developed a fine patina of all the false accusations that have been tacked on these past months. Anway, Lisa joked about me smoking before our attention was turned back on Henry V. Good movie. It's got gore, inspiring speeches before battles, romance, and comedy. I really wanted to see our humble narrator struck down by an arrow. Or just trampled during the battle..that would have been wickedly amusing. I wonder if the characters would finally notice the dude in black modern clothing trapsing around amongst them if he yelled "O! I am wounded!"

Sub in photography, which meant more leaping photos..tried out the continuous shutter which is super nifty but not the best thing for short leaps. Then math, boring geometry stuff..and eek, proofs. I despise proofs. Then Sherry and I also got to go work with the flies some more during last period (we both have art and Lab doesn't care). So we worked for another hour and a half. Got two crosses started. Except we were so sure we had 5 males in each, but then when we went back to count we only had four. Figures. I was like, "wait..there's only 8 total in this one.." and we were trying to figure it out when a rogue fly floated past. So we laughed at that a bit, may have been one of our males that somehow managed to escape using Houdini-like skill? But probably just one we discarded on a paper towel destined for the morgue or the sink. Darn sassy flies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home