Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Back from Disneyland..last night about this time our plane was landing at PDX. Where to begin? I had never ventured into the Golden State prior to this trip..and there were tons of palm trees which was pretty nifty, and hibiscus. I spotted a few monarch butterflies as well, which was a first.
I was going to keep a day to day journal of events, but that along with my smart spending record fell apart after the first night. I got too tired and lazy to write anything after that.

The flight was uneventful. Upon arrival we all realized that PDX is way nice compared to LAX. Yes, even with the teal carpeting. LAX is like one huge dirty bowling alley, except less fun because it doesn't involve bowling. We took a super shuttle (big blue and otherwise nondescript van) to our hotel, the Marriott Suites, which was huge and windowed. We left our bags and headed to the happiest place on earth. Picked up park passes and staggered about for a bit, then went on Pirates of the Caribbean. Pretty neat until we came to an unexpected stop at the bride auction. After hearing the same scene three times, I began to wonder what exactly was happening. My befuddlement halted with the first of several "technical difficulties..a crew member will assist you shortly" announcements. So after 15 or so times of hearing the bride auction the sound was turned off, and we listened to ticked participants airing their concerns about time compensation while watching the silent pirates and chickens. Finally someone pulled our boat back to a landing location and we were led out a random exit and into behind the scenes.

After that ordeal we went on Star Tours. Slightly frightening but the ewoks were a comfort. Then Haunted Mansion. We found out how long it takes to walk to the hotel..around 40 minutes. But we stopped at a convenience store for refreshing beverages before officially checking into the hotel. Then back to the park, and we went on Indiana Jones with fast passes which I took a liking to. Next it was CA adventure and grizzly river run. It certainly puts floating at our toll bridge park locale to shame. It was also experiencing some very technical and very difficult problems, and a boat slipped past with no passengers. I thought that this was rather unfortunate and comparable to the Titanic's lifeboat situation. So even though it was on my "sounds sketchy" list as possibly nauseating it caused me no harm. We were already fairly damp when this frickin' huge geyser popped out of the water in our path of travel. So we became completely drenched and decided it would be in our best interest to go on it again. Then we went back to the hotel.

On Friday the first ride we went on was Big Thunder Mountain. Not fun, and confirmed my fear of roller coasters. I barely had time to glance at the cute tortoises before we were whipped around a sharp turn. My eyes watered like mad and I think it must've looked like I was crying. But we did go on Pirates again, and got to finish it this time. I made Jumpin' Jellyfish a priority and took a few photos of the view and jellyfish. Grizzly River twice again with no geyser, Indiana Jones, and Soarin' Over California which is fascinating. Especially the orange orchard.

Saturday I slept in and then watched some of The Others on TNT with Gena. Then headed off to the park and met up with the others. Bobby was there too. He and I went on Winnie the Pooh while everyone else went on Splash Mountain because I lack courage. It was super random, like no logical progression whatsoever. Bobby said that a guy died on Big Thunder Mountain. Took more photos, lots of the castle, statue, and clydesdale horse-drawn cart car mobiles. Chelsea and Bobby went on the Maliboomer. Ate at Red Robin which was nice and heard some good music. Went back to the park for Fantasmic. Really crowded but we managed to obtain a decent standing spot. Soon inundated with families. Chelsea and I looked down at one point and discovered two kids standing right at our feet. Jodie: "Atleast they're small." I had to put on my sweatshirt 'cause this girl's ponytail kept hitting my arm. The show was neat.

I stopped writing after that. But we also went on Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Roger Rabbit, It's A Small World (a good value), and King Arthur's Carousel in addition to repeats of well-liked ones. Also watched Muppet Vision 3D, It's Tough to be a Bug, and went to "Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Play It!"

Monday was mainly a shopping day and most everyone was wanting to head for home.

I feel a bit more well-rounded now. I have tasted of the churro, walked and waited in the blistering heat and oppressing smog, and toted a bus pass and ID.

Last night mom picked me up at Samantha's and we headed for home..pulling into our driveway the headlights illuminated a small furry animal trotting in the orchard..I couldn't believe it; it certainly appeared to be Sassy, missing now for two months. I hopped out and began calling, heard the tell tale meow, and she walked right up to me! So I carried her home. It truly was a fairy tale-like ending, for I believed that she had been devoured by a famished bobcat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home