Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Fourth day of vegetarianism! And seriously, I haven't even really missed meat. Pretty much the more I hear about meat, from the methods of raising animals to slaughter practices and the fact that it's not energy efficient at all, has prompted me to do this. I'm still probably going to eat range-fed/free range, and of course wild game, but here at the co-op, where the food source is only known to be a Sysco truck..nah.

Good news..I now have at least a part-time job. I shall briefly explain my dilemma first. Ok, I thought it was a clearly established fact that I was going to go back to the experiment station to work. I knew a large project was ending which I helped out with a lot, but still..it was communicated at the end of last summer that I could come back this summer. Well, due to the large budget cut, I am unable to assume my previous position there. And I found out about this about a week ago..yes, after passing up many opportunities to make different plans in the fish/wildlife arena. But, things are working out. Cathryn has said there is enough for me to do to work 3-4 days a week at pretty good pay at the alpaca ranch doing various farm-related chores (including 'paca care). So I'm happy that I have something lined up. Not great career-oriented experience, but work for pay nonetheless.

One more day of classes tomorrow and then it's finals. I have three in addition to a set of short essays, all nicely spaced, and I've pretty much been keeping up so I'm feeling fairly ok.

Last night Matt, Archie, Chris, and I watched the best "worst horror movie" ever: Night of the Lepus. Well, Archie left early and Chris fell asleep. The previous night we'd all gone to the video store and someone was stocking newly-acquired horror movies. I spotted it before it was even on the shelf, and grabbed it (bet no one thought this title would fly off the shelves). And of course I've been wanting to see this ever since I recalled memories of watching it - I was probably younger than 10. Previously it had been impossible to find, but now it's on DVD. Why anyone would want this movie on DVD is beyond me. All I remembered was the eloctrocution of hundreds of giant (150 pound) flesh-eating rabbits. This movie is not only horrible, with its pity-garnering low budget and non-existent special effects, but boring as well! I'd say a good fifth of the movie consists entirely of obviously normal-size rabbits in a model environment leisurely loping towards the camera, accompanied by strange muted bubble-esque noises. Trust me folks, this is one movie you don't want to see. If you do see it, make sure to bring large quantities of snacking items and/or someone who's willing to make out with you during the rabbit romping scenes.

So, to conclude this post I'd like to suggest you try Dagoba organic chocolate bars - they are incredible. Today I acquired the chai one - milk chocolate with crystallized ginger and spices. They're made in Ashland from sustainably grown cacao :) And the dark chocolate lavender bar is equally amazing - yes it actually has lavender in it.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger Becky said...

    Go you!!

    I'm all for that -- sustainable meat on occasion. I prefer salmon... I had one more frozen fillet that I needed to eat before I leave... I tried to cook it the way MHC does, and it turned out well!

    That movie sounds horrible. Was it at least something to laugh at? I watched a horrible horror movie on TV (The Killing Moon), and it was at least funny at moments (unintentionally, of course). Oh, and this is random, and probably doesn't apply to the bars you bought, but I heard Dagoba had a call back awhile ago due to like lead levels in some of the chocolate bars. Sounded like a fluke. But since you're not pregnant, and not still like 4 years old, I have a feeling there's not much to worry about.

    In further news, when are you headed home? And I must admit being somewhat happy that when I visit, I'll not have to share you with the experiment station. That place sucked the energy out of you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home