Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Tomorrow is the first official day o' summa. But my summer has definitely already started: I emerged from my second year at OSU with a solid GPA, and most importantly, a healthy appetite for study-free evenings. And I already have a not-so-healthy looking sunburn on my arms from first day of work. I'm working at the alpaca farm and today I got to drive a Kubota. Mostly I wrassled with thistles though. Several 'pacas are due to have crias (baby 'pacas) soon, and there will be 45 British visitors next Friday, so I'm happy.

Oh, and I am totally an established vegetarian now. Tonight I made mediterranean garbanzo bean stir fry: zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, 'banzo beans, mint, and garlic over eco-farmed brown basmati rice. Yum.

Besides the work deal and cooking, I spent some quality time with my chicken flock. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but all our chickens are named after rocks. It started with strata (a layer...hen), but then there's pumice the rooster 'cause he's light in color (and appears to be porous), and mica and basalt the other layers. They're cooped up for the summer because they'd wreak havoc in the garden, but I let them out this evening under sporadic supervision so they could forage. They like to consume slugs. Oh, and disturbingly enough, their own eggs. But, they're so adorable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home