Today was another busy day - at the 'paca ranch, I did the usual barn chores and cleaned the floors inside. I then took some time to snap photos of the babies. At the wildlife clinic, I made a batch of "macdiet," a putrid mixture for baby birds consisting of protein-rich ingredients, including freeze dried flies and maggots and canned cat food. Mmm. There are two new fawns now - one is absolutely tiny and totally precious (probably weighs just 12 lbs). It was spooked by a car and ran off a cliff, so it has a fractured leg and brain damage :( The other fawn is much older and the size of a large dog - it got caught up in a fence and cannot stand up on its own (paralysis in one or more legs). I helped restrain it while Jean took measurements for making a sling. On the way home, I got to see two bucks (a four point and a three point), a doe, and two fawns grazing in a field. It was a deerish day.
Yesterday after work I went to Laurence Lake and sat on the bank by a beaver-built canal, hoping to see some wildlife. I saw many different species of birds, including a great blue heron and a pair of woodpeckers. I also saw something I've never seen before in the wild - a weasel! It ran along the opposite bank while the birds squawked at it.
Yesterday after work I went to Laurence Lake and sat on the bank by a beaver-built canal, hoping to see some wildlife. I saw many different species of birds, including a great blue heron and a pair of woodpeckers. I also saw something I've never seen before in the wild - a weasel! It ran along the opposite bank while the birds squawked at it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home