Merrie's second-week-of-summer update:
Things are going decently.
I'm building incredible arm muscles from the farm work. I can now put up my hair without my arms getting tired.
I have witnessed one alpaca birth (on Saturday-a pure black boy) and today I got to see Susanna's baby, a ridiculously large fawn boy born yesterday. Next due is a female called Acacia, a really pretty brown one with a camel-esque head structure and brown eyes which is unusual (most of the 'pacas have black eyes). Hmm...I am also going to get to work at the research center for the last month of summer for harvest.
Today after taking a hefty break from work and the sweltering heat wave I thoroughly cleaned my car. I found a few tapes I'd been missing and finally dealt with the sticky cupholder. It's all spiffy now. Cleaning the outside lead to vacuuming which was a good motivator to finally unload excess clothes hangers and bedding from college.
The past week has pretty much been occupied by Matt visiting and work. Saturday we went to Artifacts where I located Silent Spring because I've decided it should be read and Of Wolves and Men, then we went out to dinner at Brian's Pourhouse (I'd never been before) and I had their amazing summer salad (organic greens, hazelnuts, pear, and pomegranate vinaigrette!) Ooo, and later I broke my veg. diet for a venison burger. Because really, the only reason I'm devloping this diet is because I disagree with the corporate meat industry - I have no problem with wild game. We also floated down the canal. I got a new inflatable tube which is nice and big (too big, actually, because it allows for exposure of one's back to the icy water). We saw a snowshoe hare on the bank and a deer in the gully above the pipes. It was getting to be evening and Matt was set on getting out and warm but I wanted to go further for the chance of seeing more wildlife. So, we ended up going down to the house to tell mum to pick us up at the end of the road. Matt got way too cold so he got out about halfway and walked. He ended up seeing another deer - I was too far down to see above the bank. Oh well. I did get to see an adorable chipmunk coming down within a couple feet for water.
The trip to Troutdale on Monday to meet Matt's mom was entirely too miserable due to this crazy-ass heat wave. I am concerned for the pikas. I used the air conditioning the way down, which made me feel guilty: it's too hot, so I use the air, which uses more gas, which releases more freaking COtwo into the atmosphere, which contributes to global warming. Ack! Anyway, the best part was seeing this awesome dog in a U-Haul trailerish thing while waiting..it looked like a cross between a malamute and a wolf...perhaps it had some Alaskan Husky in it. Its owner was putting ice in the water bowls - poor thing was panting like mad. On the way home, I just rolled down all the windows and periodically splashed the sketchy water from the Arby's on my face (I had just filled my gas tank for $43 and felt I should conserve). Oh, and Acre Coffee iced mochas are good.
Things are going decently.
I'm building incredible arm muscles from the farm work. I can now put up my hair without my arms getting tired.
I have witnessed one alpaca birth (on Saturday-a pure black boy) and today I got to see Susanna's baby, a ridiculously large fawn boy born yesterday. Next due is a female called Acacia, a really pretty brown one with a camel-esque head structure and brown eyes which is unusual (most of the 'pacas have black eyes). Hmm...I am also going to get to work at the research center for the last month of summer for harvest.
Today after taking a hefty break from work and the sweltering heat wave I thoroughly cleaned my car. I found a few tapes I'd been missing and finally dealt with the sticky cupholder. It's all spiffy now. Cleaning the outside lead to vacuuming which was a good motivator to finally unload excess clothes hangers and bedding from college.
The past week has pretty much been occupied by Matt visiting and work. Saturday we went to Artifacts where I located Silent Spring because I've decided it should be read and Of Wolves and Men, then we went out to dinner at Brian's Pourhouse (I'd never been before) and I had their amazing summer salad (organic greens, hazelnuts, pear, and pomegranate vinaigrette!) Ooo, and later I broke my veg. diet for a venison burger. Because really, the only reason I'm devloping this diet is because I disagree with the corporate meat industry - I have no problem with wild game. We also floated down the canal. I got a new inflatable tube which is nice and big (too big, actually, because it allows for exposure of one's back to the icy water). We saw a snowshoe hare on the bank and a deer in the gully above the pipes. It was getting to be evening and Matt was set on getting out and warm but I wanted to go further for the chance of seeing more wildlife. So, we ended up going down to the house to tell mum to pick us up at the end of the road. Matt got way too cold so he got out about halfway and walked. He ended up seeing another deer - I was too far down to see above the bank. Oh well. I did get to see an adorable chipmunk coming down within a couple feet for water.
The trip to Troutdale on Monday to meet Matt's mom was entirely too miserable due to this crazy-ass heat wave. I am concerned for the pikas. I used the air conditioning the way down, which made me feel guilty: it's too hot, so I use the air, which uses more gas, which releases more freaking COtwo into the atmosphere, which contributes to global warming. Ack! Anyway, the best part was seeing this awesome dog in a U-Haul trailerish thing while waiting..it looked like a cross between a malamute and a wolf...perhaps it had some Alaskan Husky in it. Its owner was putting ice in the water bowls - poor thing was panting like mad. On the way home, I just rolled down all the windows and periodically splashed the sketchy water from the Arby's on my face (I had just filled my gas tank for $43 and felt I should conserve). Oh, and Acre Coffee iced mochas are good.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home