Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Friday, July 07, 2006

Oh my gosh, I got to feed a bald eagle today! I went up to the clinic after work again, and since Jean wasn't there, I had a list. First I cut up some rats for the hawks and falcon - and despite having skinned numerous muskrats and raccoons, I have to say this tested my limits. Probably the fact that I didn't have gloves on and well, they are pet store rats...then I cut up a fish and fed the fledgling osprey, and Jean got home and she cut up some venison and chicken for me to offer to the bald eagles. They're extremely finicky birds, and one just ignored my attempts. The one with the scratched cornea was acting all scared of me, and I was surprised when he/she (?) walked towards the venison cube I held out with a pair of surgical scissors. So that eagle ended up eating about eight pieces of meat. I also bottle-fed the fawn again, spent awhile photographing it and the eagles. Oo, I might be going to the coast tomorrow with people I've just met too (other volunteers)..I'm going to head out of here at 7:30 so I can meet a person by the name of Phil for morning duties.

Earlier I wrassled with the weed wacker and significant portions of grass at the Whitman's. I used the newer one this time, and it wasn't nearly as bad (yeah, my arms are finally getting buff, and I have a gorgeous farmer's tan too!). I also got to ride around in a box cutting grass in their big pasture. Saw some magnificent grasshopper specimens out there..hopefully not too many of them ended up in pieces.

So yeah, summer's going well. I'm liking the constant activity.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM , Blogger Becky said...

    That sounds awesome Mer! Can you take a picture of the baby screech owl? I can just imagine the fluffy feathery pudgy cuteness...

    Not much in the way of wildlife here, though we did see a little brown bunny yesterday while sitting by one of the lakes. Lots of reading though. Egads.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home