'Tis Friday! Classes are going well - ecology is thus far a repeat of biology last year, statistics has been understandable (and the computer program we're using is way better/more intuitive than statgraphics), badminton is of course freaking awesome, fish and wildlife law enforcement is really easy, and natural resource communications should be awesome. We have to create a 4-5 minute video on any natural resource topic of our choice with a partner. I think my partner and I are going to do ours on chronic wasting disease. This is an excellent opportunity to kill two birds with one stone - I wanted to volunteer at a check station again, but knew I'd be busy with the club and classes. So we're going to volunteer together and do some filming there of taking tissue samples and probably do a short interview with the biologist. It should be nifty, and I know there'll be plenty of info. and footage to be had.
Last night was the first fish and wildlife club meeting! It went smoothly. We all have "fish and wildlife club leader" shirts (but of course mine goes down to my knees so I have to do extensive tucking). There was a huge turnout too - probably 60 people showed up. The room was cramped. We need a couple more pizzas I think. Basically we introduced ourselves, did our photo slideshow of past trips, and talked about upcoming trips. Then we broke into smaller groups and directed people to an officer depending on their interest. I was the mammal person, and had five people to talk to. I basically just talked about past trips and upcoming trip ideas I've worked on and then we talked a lot about CWD and mad cow disease. I met a fellow trapper (well, more of a trapper than me) who'd learned from a family friend who runs a 90 mile trapline for fox, coyotes, and bobcats. Good to know that there's a little more diversity out there than just hunters and fishers.
Today afternoon is the Beaver Fair in the quad, which is a "welcome freshmen - get involved!" sort of thing. Informational booths and whatnot. I must man the club booth for a while. It might be entertaining. Hopefully we'll have some critter specimens on display.
In depressing news, Prissy, our amazing, adorable, obese, and charismatic siamese/british shorthair cat is no longer with us. Mom had to put her down, because she had a rapid health decline and the vet determined that it was liver failure. So I must talk to mom and/or the vet and really try to understand the why behind this. Because I have a suspicion, and I hope it's not true. I'm going to miss that cat. She had personality. If she wanted to sit on my lap and I pushed her off too many times, she'd seriously go sit in a corner with her ears back. I'd have to coax her out of it with overly kind words in my most sympathetic voice. In short, she was definitely the best cat we've ever had (possibly the best cat ever) and I'll definitely miss her warm blue eyes and purring..and velvety fur. And even the yogurt begging. And meowing for fresh water!
Last night was the first fish and wildlife club meeting! It went smoothly. We all have "fish and wildlife club leader" shirts (but of course mine goes down to my knees so I have to do extensive tucking). There was a huge turnout too - probably 60 people showed up. The room was cramped. We need a couple more pizzas I think. Basically we introduced ourselves, did our photo slideshow of past trips, and talked about upcoming trips. Then we broke into smaller groups and directed people to an officer depending on their interest. I was the mammal person, and had five people to talk to. I basically just talked about past trips and upcoming trip ideas I've worked on and then we talked a lot about CWD and mad cow disease. I met a fellow trapper (well, more of a trapper than me) who'd learned from a family friend who runs a 90 mile trapline for fox, coyotes, and bobcats. Good to know that there's a little more diversity out there than just hunters and fishers.
Today afternoon is the Beaver Fair in the quad, which is a "welcome freshmen - get involved!" sort of thing. Informational booths and whatnot. I must man the club booth for a while. It might be entertaining. Hopefully we'll have some critter specimens on display.
In depressing news, Prissy, our amazing, adorable, obese, and charismatic siamese/british shorthair cat is no longer with us. Mom had to put her down, because she had a rapid health decline and the vet determined that it was liver failure. So I must talk to mom and/or the vet and really try to understand the why behind this. Because I have a suspicion, and I hope it's not true. I'm going to miss that cat. She had personality. If she wanted to sit on my lap and I pushed her off too many times, she'd seriously go sit in a corner with her ears back. I'd have to coax her out of it with overly kind words in my most sympathetic voice. In short, she was definitely the best cat we've ever had (possibly the best cat ever) and I'll definitely miss her warm blue eyes and purring..and velvety fur. And even the yogurt begging. And meowing for fresh water!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home