I had my last midterm today in medical and public health entomology, and seriously it was a piece of cake. I really didn't have to study anything besides malaria.
In other news, it's the freaking seventh week already, and I've already registered for classes next term. Here's the line-up: Introductory population dynamics, investigations in pop. dy. (lab), plant systematics (xylem and phloem...so exciting), wetland and riparian ecology, and fish and wildlife resource ecology. Probably a tough term.
In scarier news, I had my advising appointment and as long as everything goes as planned, I am going to graduate in June. Definitely a scary thought. What the hell will I do? Where will I live? I'm holding out hope for an amazing well-paid summer job trapping small mammals for research purposes. Luckily there are some excellent job boards online. Plus I should really talk with Rebecca - perhaps I can give her a heads up on what I'm looking for.
We continue to be inundated by mice...today, I was in the bathroom, and a mouse came scurrying in under the door. Sauce cat had pursued it. I caught it in a little tupperware and walked a couple blocks with it before releasing into a field to go bother some apartment dwellers. Seriously these mice are like oblivious. This one seriously leaped into the container and didn't try to escape. Last night one was drinking out of the fish tank - there's a little hole on top about 1.5X the diameter of a house mouse and it dipped its front end down to water level and drank. RIDICULOUS.
In systematics, we have a bunch of shrews. Luckily we're not required to differentiate their skulls so we get range maps. Also, the infamous shrew-mole and flying squirrel make an appearance! So freaking adorable. Mom, has my shrew-mole been freeze dried yet?
Also there is a huge brown bear skull, from a bear taken by a General Jimmy Doolittle (WTF?) that missed the record book by 1/4". It's awesome. We also have half a polar bear skull, which apparently we're very lucky to have...at least it's the front half.
Tonight I made broiled sole with avocado salsa. It was incredible. Thanks Becky for your recipe websites! I found this one at digsmagazine.com. Check it out.
This had been an incredibly disjunct blog. Oh well.
In other news, it's the freaking seventh week already, and I've already registered for classes next term. Here's the line-up: Introductory population dynamics, investigations in pop. dy. (lab), plant systematics (xylem and phloem...so exciting), wetland and riparian ecology, and fish and wildlife resource ecology. Probably a tough term.
In scarier news, I had my advising appointment and as long as everything goes as planned, I am going to graduate in June. Definitely a scary thought. What the hell will I do? Where will I live? I'm holding out hope for an amazing well-paid summer job trapping small mammals for research purposes. Luckily there are some excellent job boards online. Plus I should really talk with Rebecca - perhaps I can give her a heads up on what I'm looking for.
We continue to be inundated by mice...today, I was in the bathroom, and a mouse came scurrying in under the door. Sauce cat had pursued it. I caught it in a little tupperware and walked a couple blocks with it before releasing into a field to go bother some apartment dwellers. Seriously these mice are like oblivious. This one seriously leaped into the container and didn't try to escape. Last night one was drinking out of the fish tank - there's a little hole on top about 1.5X the diameter of a house mouse and it dipped its front end down to water level and drank. RIDICULOUS.
In systematics, we have a bunch of shrews. Luckily we're not required to differentiate their skulls so we get range maps. Also, the infamous shrew-mole and flying squirrel make an appearance! So freaking adorable. Mom, has my shrew-mole been freeze dried yet?
Also there is a huge brown bear skull, from a bear taken by a General Jimmy Doolittle (WTF?) that missed the record book by 1/4". It's awesome. We also have half a polar bear skull, which apparently we're very lucky to have...at least it's the front half.
Tonight I made broiled sole with avocado salsa. It was incredible. Thanks Becky for your recipe websites! I found this one at digsmagazine.com. Check it out.
This had been an incredibly disjunct blog. Oh well.


2 Comments:
At 9:52 PM ,
Ricki said...
Jerry W. took the shrew mole to Dean. I'll have Tim call Dean for an update.
( Tim's gonna send the red fox (frozen) for Dean to do a head mount)
At 10:11 PM ,
Becky said...
whoa, broiled soil with avocado salsa?
welcome to adulthood.
in bizarre news: remember Josh Thompson? he messaged me on facebook! he's also in the bay area -- how crazy is that?
Post a Comment
<< Home