Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Happiness is just around the corner...

I am in between vacation rounds. Saturday I travelled to La Pine to meet up with the family (including Becky, whom I haven't seen since winter break). En route, Becky called with a request from mom - beer. "You do know I get dirty looks whenever I purchase alcohol, right?" So I go into Ray's Food Place and grab a six pack of drop top. I was going to get a pack of gum but thought better of it. I already had my ID out. The cashier was like "wouldn't have suspected." The dude behind me said "I thought she looked about 14." Then the cashier was all "well she'll appreciate it when she's older." Yes, happiness is (perpetually) just around the corner.

I rolled into camp with the Stand By Me soundtrack. The first night we camped - Becky and I on the hard ground in the tent - the next two nights we stayed in a "deluxe" cabin. Deluxe my ass. That "wood" flooring is actually a very convincing linoleum. Insane! But actually it was really nice. Anyway, Saturday Becky and I took a trip into Bend so I could obtain a new swimsuit. Target has an extreme imbalance of tops and bottoms, but I finally found my perfect set. Also got some random items including a sweater dress. Mum and Tim checked out a cave and lava tube. When we returned, we walked down to the Deschutes and floated a bit in our green wetset. I caught a large one-clawed crayfish. Glorious day. Watched About A Boy with Becky and mum after making chili.

Monday Beck and I did our own thing. Took part of the trail around Paulina, waded in the lake, checked out East Lake and floated amongst the hoardes of ducks. Then we drove up the ridiculously washboardy road to the peak, which has a good view. Lake and lava flows. No freaking guardrail. The ever abundant golden mantled ground squirrels at the top. Ate out at a mediocre truck stop. Watched half of Hot Fuzz before we got too tired.

Tuesday was rather sad. We packed up, then took a last walk down to the river. All in all, a fun relaxing break. And this friday I get to go to Corvallis and Eugene. Interzone, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home