Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Weekend and Work Adventures

So I forgot Mammal Monday. I have made the executive decision to skip this week rather than compromise the integrity of it.

So I had a busy weekend - it was the Lake County Fair and Round-Up! On Friday night we visited the "Re-Ride Room," which is code for the cage drunk people are contained in. They made freaking strong drinks too - I had a gin and tonic and a coke and rum and they were so strong as to be unpalatable. BUT, the highlight was seeing one of the cowboys that danced with me at the bar a few weeks back singing in a band. Ok, I'm a bit ridiculous, but he was good. The highlights were For What It's Worth, Mary Jane's Last Dance, and Susie Q. We went to the bar afterwards, where a minor fight broke out. What's the logical thing to do when you have a bar packed with customers after such a skirmish? Shut down. Yeah, Lakeview doesn't make much sense sometimes. After the ridiculousness of being kicked out of the bar, a good number of people decided the logical thing to do at 1 AM would be to order a burger from the tacky stand that was set up beside US Bank. We proceeded to wait 45 minutes for Jessa to get a hamburger.

Saturday Jessa and I volunteered for the humane society ("the road to hell is paved with good intentions") picking up trash around the fair (majorly depressing). Bar part deux.

Sunday Lora, Eric, Jessa, and I went to the rodeo. It was a grand ol' time but we missed the bull riding for a food run. Fry bread is soo delicious. Bar part trois. I swear I am not an alchy.

Monday it was rodeo part deux. Lora and I rode the ferris wheel, which was pretty scary. I got my second bag of cotton candy. Monday night we had a cookout with Tessa, Lora, Allie (who'd returned from a weekend home), Vince, Corey, and Steve (who've all been stationed at Sheldon), and "Dank." We had amazing food and played Apples to Apples. And finally, someone who actually liked my DJ selection - Steve, who commented on my good taste in music.

This weekend a lot of gossip-generating activities took place. I shall not spread any of it here though. Suffice it to say Eric went down a few notches in my book...

So this morning/last night was my first day on the pygmy rabbit crew. As it turns out, we're not actually doing the rabbit work on Hart. Tim, Zac, and Jennifer are just living there, and their commute to the work site is actually just as long if not longer than coming from Lakeview. So yay. I get to enjoy the comfortable life. Brandi trained me on telemetry, which was pretty easy to learn. I located three collared rabbits. And oh my goodness are they adorable. They look like perpetual baby bunnies. Good thing the pet industry hasn't discovered them! We got locations on the three rabbits again before taking a break/cat nap for those who can sleep in the freezing cold truck. Then we pulled/checked traps - caught two! I handled one of them which was pretty squirmy, it was a collared one that had been studied so we took the little collar off of it. Looked for new burrows - found part of a shed rattlesnake skin and saw an owl I have yet to ID (it had long ear tufts but wasn't a great horned). All in all, a tiring but successful first day. I think I'm going to be here until December!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home