Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, October 20, 2008

Rabbits and parties

So lately...not a lot has been happening here. Last friday was our grown 'n' sexy party, hosted by Lora. I wore the zebra dress, courtesty of Becky, gold heels, and a dark brown beaded necklace. The night before Lora cut my hair and gave me bangs (which I haven't had for like ten years)...she also straightened my hair and did my makeup. We were rather apprehensive about our scant guest list. By the height of the evening, we ended up with ten people other than ourselves. The dress code wasn't exactly followed - maybe three guys had suits and ties on. And of course, "our" guys - the fish and wildlife firefighters Vince, Tony, Steve, Corey, and Geoffrey - showed up around 11 sporting jeans, sweatshirts, and fire jackets, embroiled in a smoky aroma. I wanted to break out the marshmallows. I'd say the height of the evening was when Jessa persuaded Geoffrey to give her some pot. Fifteen minutes later she was sprawled on the grass flailing her legs, Tony lying beside her, with the majority of us circled around laughing hysterically. She thanked him and kissed him on the cheeks several times afterward ("I needed that like I need a good screw.") Overall, a very entertaining evening. The firefighters have been working 13 hour days on a prescribed burn and Saturday was no exception, so after finishing off Jessa's homemade chicken strips they departed with four hours of sleep ahead of them. I definitely do not envy that crew.

Last Friday at work we finally caught a rabbit (two actually) at our new study site, near the Oregon/Nevada border. The one that I tracked took off in the direction of home after we relocated it, but it ended up overshooting by a few hundred meters, so yeah...that was the most active tracking I've done though; it would run 500 meters and then the next check I'd find it under a sage laying down. At least it got the direction right.

Still trying to figure out what's next for me after my stay here in Lakeview. I fully intend to return next field season though - and if Jessa comes back, we can rent a place together. And I want to foster an Oregon Outback Humane Society dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home