Hmm..the day started out average and boring. Work. Then I took some photos of bat droppings in a house for an insurance claim. Oh, varmint control. One never knows what will happen around here!
Early afternoon was super boring and too hot as well..100. Finally mom and I went to relocate a skunk and we ended up going to Laurance Lake and exploring the backcountry roads. We stopped at one gated road near the "settlin' pond" for a walk. Basically an irrigation canal trail. We heard two large hooved animals bolt when they recognized our presence in the brush below the trail. I'm thinking elk, they sounded too heavy to be deer. A quarter of a mile along I felt that the vegetation growing on the trail was drenched, like something may have gotten out of the water and had dripped/shaken. There were some large damp patches in the dirt but no defined prints. I was thinking the pattern of water could have been made by a bear. The canal kinda turned into a rushing stream, really quite gorgeous with lush moss and ferns alongside it. The road ran into a gravel road, and we crossed it into a meadow. There was an impressive caterpillar crawling on the road. No idea what species. We walked down the main gravel road a ways wondering where it came out at, then turned back. Once we got back to the water-splashed site we located just where the animal had gotten out of the canal. The leaves still held water droplets and a fern was obviously broken at the base, like something had stepped on it. I started rummaging through the leaves and soil, with the intention of finding some bear fur to prove the theory. I couldn't believe it when I found some dark, short fur tangled up in some thorny vines. No doubt a bear had been there within hours! I brought the fur home and Tim took one look and confirmed it. Pretty darn cool.
We went to get a pizza at Domino's for dinner. It was too hot to cook still, and coupons of course. Anyone familiar with Sondre Lerche? I saw the music video for "two way monologue" a couple nights ago. He's from Norway and has a new CD out and his debut received some good reviews.
I've got to start seizing these summer days..so much is left undone!
Early afternoon was super boring and too hot as well..100. Finally mom and I went to relocate a skunk and we ended up going to Laurance Lake and exploring the backcountry roads. We stopped at one gated road near the "settlin' pond" for a walk. Basically an irrigation canal trail. We heard two large hooved animals bolt when they recognized our presence in the brush below the trail. I'm thinking elk, they sounded too heavy to be deer. A quarter of a mile along I felt that the vegetation growing on the trail was drenched, like something may have gotten out of the water and had dripped/shaken. There were some large damp patches in the dirt but no defined prints. I was thinking the pattern of water could have been made by a bear. The canal kinda turned into a rushing stream, really quite gorgeous with lush moss and ferns alongside it. The road ran into a gravel road, and we crossed it into a meadow. There was an impressive caterpillar crawling on the road. No idea what species. We walked down the main gravel road a ways wondering where it came out at, then turned back. Once we got back to the water-splashed site we located just where the animal had gotten out of the canal. The leaves still held water droplets and a fern was obviously broken at the base, like something had stepped on it. I started rummaging through the leaves and soil, with the intention of finding some bear fur to prove the theory. I couldn't believe it when I found some dark, short fur tangled up in some thorny vines. No doubt a bear had been there within hours! I brought the fur home and Tim took one look and confirmed it. Pretty darn cool.
We went to get a pizza at Domino's for dinner. It was too hot to cook still, and coupons of course. Anyone familiar with Sondre Lerche? I saw the music video for "two way monologue" a couple nights ago. He's from Norway and has a new CD out and his debut received some good reviews.
I've got to start seizing these summer days..so much is left undone!


1 Comments:
At 1:48 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hi Merrie!
We listen to Sondre Lerche just about every day at work (I have co-workers with wonderful taste in music). It's a great CD, if you like "two way monologue" you will probably like the rest of it. He's very soothing, I think. Bet you didn't know I read your blog! :)
~ lindsey gaulke
Post a Comment
<< Home