Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, August 02, 2004

Work this morning, then nothing..until about 5:00 when I started looking for arriving vehicles. Andrea and Gena showed up (...on time...of course) followed awhile later by Chelsea, Jodie, Samantha, Bobby and Alex B. Funny how Andrea's car magically moved. After the inspection of CDs and DVDs and a few critical remarks about the fairy figurine collection, we headed to taco night. About a minute of reassurance regarding the pub's close proximity to the house convinced the doubtful; we walked. I just thought it'd be a bit ridiculous to drive when it's about an 8 minutes leisurely stroll pace away. Tacos, then root beer. Then we decided to leave. Alex A. and Nick were just arriving. Funny how the only people that read this were all there. You know what happened. But then I attempt steadfast loyalty in recording all events. So it was time to go to Laurance Lake, where I aimed to lead a pika locating expedition. We heard quite a few vocalizations from various individuals, and I finally spotted one pretty close in a rockpile. Luckily it stayed put and everyone had a chance to see it. Alex attempted a capture. Pikas are frickin' skilled at escaping possible predators however, and it swiftly dashed into a burrow.

We walked to one stream at the end of the lake where I heard more pikas. I wandered around a corner lake-side and found one. This one was slightly larger and more of a tawny color than the last one, which was grayish. It kept dashing between boulders and I found its haypile, probably starting to store up food for the colder months ahead.

A great blue heron flew in and landed at the opposite side of the lake. We started back and then everyone sat in cars for awhile trying to decide what to do. I kind of wanted to join everyone in HR (because let's face the facts, tacos and ice cream and pikas is all that Parkdale has to offer) but decided against it considering having to drive back.

Current concerns: me saying things off the top of my head without consideration. And saying things indirectly all the time...darn regrets. Too many lately.

Thursday, camping? Sounds good. "He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"

2 Comments:

  • At 12:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! Merrie! I had so much fun up in P-dale. It was especially fun having 2 people on my back and falling on the gravel. I have minor scratches and a large bump on my left knee.... WOOOO. Those pikas were adorable! The tacos= delicious. McIssac's= priceless. Thank YOU Merrie, for such an eventful evening in Parkdale!!
    -Chels

     
  • At 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Merrie-

    Looking forward to OSU? If you ever have any questions or anything, you can e mail me (i'm sure you know the ONID format, or look in the student directory). I'll be living in McNary, room 218 (i think?) if you ever want to visit. :) Also, I'm not sure where you are living at, but I have a loft kid I'd sell to you for dirt cheap.

    -Lauren

     

Post a Comment

<< Home