Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

A busy day. Work (luckily half the boarding dogs have left so it's not quite as crazy trying to get everyone walked and fed), a three hour break because I was lazy, and then I went down to the Wy'east gym to stick ribbon stickers on art. The judge was crazy. Basically half the stuff got firsts, and if it didn't totally strike her fancy, it got second. One or two thirds. It was messed up. The fair starts tomorrow. Amazing how such things tend to take one by surprise. I'm always surprised at how little there is to do there as the years go by. In elementary school, Becky and I would get fanatical about entering something in every single category. One year I made a family of basset hound zucchinis (that word strikes me as particularly odd now that I've typed it) for the veggie art and got a special $10 award. Then we'd go for flower arrangements, dough art, decorated eggs, baked goods (what a horrible waste of yummy desserts),  jewelry, collections, and finally, art. I made over $80 one year, and in elementary school, that means an unlimited supply of candy and new plush animals. Hey, there's always dippin' dots, snow cones, and cotton candy.

In other news, we went to Black Lake tonight. It's way up there by Rainy and Wahtum Lakes. The sign at the bottom of the gravel road reads 10 miles, but in actuality it's 15. There was no one up there. However, that tiny lake is home to a large population of monstrous crayfish. I saw at least 50 and caught a few in a tin can. Found a homemade raft of logs and plywood. Tim set a few crayfish traps, he uses them as live bait for otters. On the way home we saw five deer, including two fawns, and a skunk.

I found The Essential Simon and Garfunkel   on ebay..a 2 CD set. It's got 4 bids but I think I still may be capable of acquiring it for a reasonable sum. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home