Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Friday, August 06, 2004

What a camping adventure that was..
We headed up there around 3:30 (from Dee). At this point the weather was still decent. Not exceptionally tropical, but warm with a breeze and some decent sunlight. Once we got to our camping spot, however, I was glad that I'd worn jeans and hiking boots. It was so cold. We set up the tents. One of them turned out to be quite small (i.e. one person). Sat around for a couple hours, started a campfire, then contemplated the possibility of an around-lake hike and how dinner could fit into that scenario. Gena, Andrea, Samantha, and I decided to hike early evening before dinner. We found the amphitheater and a snowshoe hare that had a burrow under a log next to it. It had white feet. Our next find was a huge dead trout under the bridge. By the time we got to the little dock with dilapidated boardwalk out to it, everyone but me was singing Disney tunes. I videoclipped the Pocahontas one and took some photos of the mist rolling off the water and the pinkish blueish reflection of sky. So everyone sang Disney songs the rest of the way. We got back and rummaged through some second-hand tin foil to wrap our Boboli pizza in. That was dinner, complete with tangy sauce. According to Gena, I tried to kill her. To be fair to myself though, all I did was mention the double murder that took place in the early 1900's up near Laurance Lake, and a few bear and cougar attacks. We again spotted some crayfish in the water at night. Everyone was fairly tired so we all got to sleep around midnight. Not before we got to listen to the crazy drunk guys in the spot next to ours enjoy some classic tunes however. That's right; the Stand By Me soundtrack.

We awoke to raindrops splattering on our tent. I had to go reposition my duffel bag so it was under the picnic table a bit after 7 but never got back to sleep. Built a fire with scant remaining kindling and one slice of a log, set up a tarp w/poles, ate sickeningly sweet yet delicious muffins, and started to pack up. We left before 11, and Andrea, Gena, and I decided to head to Wahtum Lake for a short stay. No "Wilderness Pass Required" warning ever kept us from enjoying brambleberries (Gena's rendition of wild blue and huckle berries). It was a 10 mile drive, and we saw a young buck in the road. We walked down those 250 some steps to the lake and admired the mollusks (again, Gena's superb term for crustaceans, specifically crayfish). We then proceeded to devour vast quantities of brambleberries. Well, a few handfuls at least. Luckily we got to the car before the forest service people did, 'cause they were up there.

I went to work around 2:30, the pet pig is there. It's a 200 + pound monstrosity that takes up a whole kennel. And it's being boarded until the 16th. I can't imagine having to walk that thing..I'll probably have to though. A giant harness and like, mountain climbing rope as a leash? Anyway, it's ridiculously huge and rather frightening. After work I went to Samantha's b-day party where we enjoyed some awesome fondue, a wonderful noodly dinner, and funfetti cake.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home