Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Beautiful fall weather today in spite of predictions. Had my last FW orientation class. Must've run out of guest speakers. Well that's nice because at least I'll only have art next Tuesday which will leave me plenty of time to study for that dang math test. It'll be the last of the regular tests but then on the 6th is the final. That's just not even enough spacing.

In art we were indeed shown a clip from Metropolis, but it wasn't Moroder's version. We also saw a clip from The Birds (that confirms for me that I need to watch it in its entirety) and some shorts from William Wegmen in the '70s. In one he emptied an entire spray can of deodorant on one armpit while extolling its virtues. Also one called "Milk Trail" in which he dribbled milk from his mouth while crawling on his hands and knees and slowly retreating from the ground-level video camera. As soon as he disappeared from a doorway a weimaraner entered, lapping the milk right up to the camera and actually bumping it. Another with synchronized movement by two weimaraners in a seemingly empty space and at the very end his hand holding a tennis ball was presented in front of the camera. Who would think that two dogs mesmerized by a tennis ball could be so entertaining?

English 110, that film studies class I really wanted to take, is not even offered this term. Darn. I'm not going to take anything for western culture until that's offered. Also that recommended chem. teacher is only teaching 122 this term, so I only have one choice. I looked him up on ratemyprofessors.com though and although his ratings aren't quite up to par with the other's, it's still very positive overall. And Jasmine is also taking 121 this term, and hopefully we can get into the same class. Now I just have to try and figure out a different bacc. core class. And coordinate times for other classes. Sure, web registration doesn't allow for direct scheduling conflicts. But, it is incapable of considering such minor details as two classes at opposite ends of campus ten minutes apart, and all the strife therein.

I met my geology group members at the library, was 10 minutes early and waited outside for about 8 minutes until someone else showed up. He went inside to check and everyone else was already there. Sheesh. I usually think of myself as being too early a lot of the time. I'd written a couple paragraphs and everyone looked them over. All of my group members are upperclassmen that have been taking geology courses for a while. I think at least one of them is actually a geology major. So one of them volunteered to combine all our stuff into one piece..nice. And for once I trust this; everyone is serious about this project. At least I contributed a couple photos. A good portion of the time I just listened to them discuss the quirks of our professor. He has a reputation of being an excellent researcher and a not so stellar teacher. "Maybe he has Parkinson's" turned into "No! Tourrette's!" I almost felt guilty for laughing. He just trips over words at times though and in no way do I believe he actually has one of those syndromes. Also a huge grading method discrepancy seems to have infiltrated that class, which may well have something to do with personal grudges (he circles last names on all the papers..for ease of returning? I doubt.)

Anyway, not too much else going on. Tomorrow evening however the badminton courts are reserved for Reed, and I would really love to go, but I have a club meeting that gets out 15 minutes in advance of badminton start time. I can't figure out if I should just go to both and eat a really late dinner and have less time for homework or if I should skip one.
Badminton or sea turtles..?

"Meadow-mice paddle ridgeward with the calm assurance of miniature muskrats."

-Aldo Leopold, "Come High Water"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home