Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, November 15, 2004

It's actually been busy today..yay. A welcome change.
So I got a 69 on my geology test. I'd like to think of it as a low C-. The average was 78 too, so I felt a bit worse knowing I was below. Oh well, blah. I will now free myself from the shackles of traditional measuring methods of academic progress. Met in our groups and helplessly pondered how to incorporate a paragraph into one "theme statement." He kept emphasizing how we should be specific and yet keep it contained in one sentence. Kinda not possible, but we managed to come up with one in the last five minutes. I suggested we try to each write about a different aspect of our assigned field trip location, but that was thrown out for lack of diverse separate components. We're meeting tomorrow afternoon in the library with the expectation that everyone will have written a few good paragraphs for incorporation into the final product.

After classes I had a couple hours for homework and nothing. Then I went to that FW resume workshop. Couldn't figure out where Nash 10 was and had to ask an adviser. I never would've found it because it's in the basement. Lots of dead birds suspended from the ceiling and walls down there, antlers and skulls, random bones in displays, traps, etc.
So learned some good stuff about cover letters and organization and whatnot. But two hours was a bit much. Then I got back just in time for the house meeting. Some dude talked to us about alcohol. Statistics and facts mainly, and a study that showed if you give people non- alcoholic drinks and tell them it's alcoholic, they'll become totally drunk, in behavior. It reminded me of the nog. Hey, it's about the right time for nog to start appearing in your grocer's refrigerated section.

I still don't think there's any way to significanly reduce drinking among college students by increasing the awareness. Education alone's not going to determine whether or not someone drinks..regardless of shock factor. I think it has much to do with personal standards and past experiences. Anway, he talked for like 45 minutes and the house meeting lasted until 6:15. Everyone had about 20 minutes to eat dinner, then we had to go to the all co-op meeting at Gilfilan to vote on the budget and an amendment. I was wondering why such things weren't accomplished during individual house meetings. There's no point in making everyone converge for random twenty minute meetings on weeknights. Well the amendment was to abolish the large gathering and make it so.

Jasmine and I decided that a key to shyness is an innate wish to avoid infringing on the space/time of others. Like this would explain why I don't talk to people more often. Someday I'll overcome that and convince myself that communication is a necessary and good component of normal relationships.

Hmm...well that's about it.
And Becky, I don't really have any photos I want to use. If you want to email me one (not one from our floating adventure..please..!) that'd be great.




2 Comments:

  • At 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    those motivational speakers piss me off. you're totally right; whether or not people drink has to do with personal stuff, not statistics. and the placebo effect i guess is true among people craving attention...so what is he trying to say? that the alcohol itself had nothing to do with being drunk? what a dick. hey, since when did motivational speakers infiltrate colleges anyway?!

    --alex

     
  • At 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't think raising awareness about mental health is gonna deter anyone from jumping off Bobst either...But that's kinda of a different thing but sorta the same thing. NYU is very big on the whole mental health and wellness kick and most of our Welcome Week was devoted to it. And come to think of it, so was our Summer Orientation... I did kinda wonder why it was pimped so much over the summer but I guess I know now -- it's because we like to kill ourselves. *laughs*

    Sherry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home