Today Tim caught a 27 pound bobcat in a cage trap right off the edge of our property, in the mid-afternoon! Mom and I had gone to Tollbridge for a walk (we brought Bosun and Snooks, it was an incredible journey) and luckily I had brought my phone and he called to announce it so we could get home and see it. So we briskly walked back, loaded Bosun which is quite a process, especially since the little devices that keep the trunk up are broken, and headed for home. Tim had checked the trap at noon and between then and 3 it had been caught. And within just a few hundred yards of the house, right below the canal trail..which has had a lot of traffic lately. Anyway, I took a few photos and I'll have one on here tomorrow. I just wanted him to let it go though. Sometimes I don't have a problem with it, but this was different. A truly local bobcat!
Tonight we viewed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which was mildly befuddling at the start but quite enjoyable. Tomorrow I head back..blah. I need to deconstruct some constructs in my mind to make being there and getting through bearable.
Tonight we viewed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which was mildly befuddling at the start but quite enjoyable. Tomorrow I head back..blah. I need to deconstruct some constructs in my mind to make being there and getting through bearable.


2 Comments:
At 10:25 AM ,
Becky said...
awww... I mean, not that I WANT bobcats around (what if they ate my dtub & sassy?), but it seems wrong to kill them for the hell of it... don't we want our area to stay wild?? how will that happen if there are no bobcats to reproduce & keep the possum population under control? (do bobcats even like eating possum? I don't know, but I hope so, they're yucky animals.)
At 10:50 PM ,
Merrie said...
Becky,
Bobcats are actually fairly bountiful around here. We never see them, but that doesn't mean there isn't a stable population out there. And it's better that he caught a male, because they don't pair for life (I'm pretty sure a male will mate with more than one female in a season). And they don't eat 'possums. Not much will eat a 'possum. The primary staples of a bobcat's diet are rodents, birds, and rabbits. Although the coyotes are probably more likely to seek out our cats and expend energy in chasing them, a bobcat would have a better chance of actually getting a hold of and killing one, since a cat can escape coyotes by climbing but a bobcat could follow them right up a tree.
Post a Comment
<< Home