Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Well, I am now 19. I haven’t updated in a while, and that is uncharacteristic in a non-charming sort of way. I’ve been thinking a lot lately..about everything. Event-wise, I got a ride to Monmouth with Kauffman and Jon and Graham Friday afternoon. The phrase of the outing was “oh helllz yes.” It was certainly an experience to remember. We waited outside in brr-inducing coldness when we didn’t have to (Kauffman checked for a spare key to get into Jon’s brother’s place, and neglected to actually check the door). We ended up getting some chicken strips at KFC, pondering over a carload of teens with a baby, and then played BS (more tamely and fondly known as "I Doubt It") while Jon’s brother prepared to take us to HR. I’m lacking in bluffing skills apparently.

Rosauers cake was a highlight. And Before These Crowded Streets by DMB and The Colour and the Shape by Foo Fighters. Also, a “Parkdale Mountaineers” spruce green tee shirt from P-dale Elementary! Freaking awesome. Today has been sub-freezing cold. It’s primarily been snow with a dash of freezing rain. That’s always the surest path to traffic pandemonium and 24/7 weather coverage. Mom and I went to town and I got some new walkin’ shoes at Shortt Supply and new inserts too. And wool blend socks, because apparently cotton isn’t cool. It doesn’t wick away moisture. If I get rained upon in cotton socks it isn’t healthy. Also went to Rosauers and Value Mart, nothing too interesting. So then I wanted to go to Crazy Pepper and there was a big fat red “Closed” sign propped up out front, we went to investigate and just then some waitress was walking out and offered to let us in anyway! They were closing early due to the weather. So we basically had the whole place to ourselves. That was quite nice. The roads actually weren’t horrible, it looked worse than it actually was. I didn’t lose traction once, but I did run a stop sign. Oops. Well, I’ve managed to avoid even a minor accident in my two + years of being licensed, I figure that’s decent. May I add that “minor accident” includes squirrel and all easily detectable vertebrate casualties.

Also braved the frigid wind and powdery snow (ok, the powdery snow part wasn’t so vicious) to take Bosun on a walk, who is doing surprisingly well in this weather. Since then much non-decisive thinking. I have figured out a few things I want in life: self-sustaining work, a place to live, a dog, and relative happiness. As simple a life as possible, yet one brimming with diversions and interests which may be divided from whatever money-earning activity I manage to obtain. Right now, I don’t want the next few years of my life totally planned out.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    happy birfday! i still owe you a hot present.

    alex

     

Post a Comment

<< Home