Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Friday, January 07, 2005

Perhaps the primary event of the day was discovering/being informed that there is absolutely no hot water in the whole house. The earliest this problem can be alleviated is Tuesday. So, this translates into paper plates and plastic utensils as we are unable to run the sanitizer, and most importantly, no showers. We have to go to residence halls to shower! Bothersome to say the least. But then Jasmine reminded me of the tsunamis as we got into a "it could be worse" discussion. I have to say that's definitely going to go down as the catastrophe to top all. I can't argue with it. But hey, it could even be worse here. What if we didn't have any water at all? We'd have to be temporarily relocated which would sure be an excruciating hassle. And I've discovered that Hawley has really nice hot showering water.

Classes were nondescript. Except we did see two real old videos in food in non-western culture, and they were hilarious. Well, the second one was. All the men had Donald Trump-esque hairdos, and it was informing people of the discrepencies between cultures and how American business doesn't homogenize seamlessly with foreign business. Like I guess people in the far east find it very upsetting if us Americans don't accept another cup of tea. Then there was an Indian man that reminded me of Pedro and these internal dialogues were added in; it induced slightly muffled laughing.

First day for me being dinner waitress. That's such an easy job! I once again can't believe I got off so easily, especially considering my room # was one of the last for job pick. Then dinner dishes - everything but the dishes - mopping, wiping down counters, stuff. Also enjoyed taping off the regular dishes! I like my jobs once again. Goodness.

I'm still wondering if I should try to arrange to go home next Friday for my birthday/three day weekend. Was just there, and I think it's more difficult to be here when I've been home recently. This just can't compare to my own room and a warm fire..spaciousness. So we shall see. Sure wish I could obtain a Rosauers cake either way. The frosting leaves a nicely unhealthy feeling grease residue. It's so good though. Especially the kind with raspberry filling.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home