The "squawk" is definitely open to your interpretation, but mine is that it's a discrete reminder to update.
I don’t even know where to begin really..that’s the trouble with slacking. It’s my just punishment. Let me start with today. Uncle Scott and Ardyth stopped by for a visit (to see the house and whatnot). I gave him some burned CDs. Now he likes the White Stripes and Radiohead so now I’m introducing him to The Shins and Jump, Little Children. Mom, Beck, and I were planning on going hiking at Wahtum today. We got a late start. It was unpleasantly windy and there were no pikas (or bears for that matter) in sight. Also we heard a very obnoxious bird (“bastard bird” as Becky called it) screaming intermittently. Certainly not your serene, melodious birdcall one expects to hear while hiking. We were led to believe that we would see impressive anthills, both new and ancient, along the trail. We saw no such structures. At least they were not obvious. They need signs. Our trek was going to lead us on a spectacular loop but we took the wrong trail which essentially zigged back down lakeside. There we enjoyed a viewless truckless tailgate picnic..corned beef rye bread sandwiches and grapes in the trunk of the jeep. Hey, it was raining out. Our fingers were numb. I drove the stick shift back home. Let’s just say I’ve been out of practice..never actually been in practice. It died a few times. But I made it!
“ ‘Cause then we’d have to trek all the f*** back up here!”
-Becky
Now I’m watching the Life Aquatic.
Yesterday Becky and I went to town to see Land of the Dead and then we ate at The Crazy Pepper. Now I totally have to see all the Romero films I’ve missed. Some of the political comments were blatantly obvious but at least it wasn’t pure zombie-eating-human-flesh-action for the sake of gore. Then last night we viewed Young Frankenstein. Definitely recommend that one.
The past week I’ve primarily worked. I’m totally raking in the cash. Not really since I don’t get paid but once a month. But it feels so productive! Yeah, it’s wonderful that I now feel obligated to buy everything I want that isn’t deemed terribly important. Oh well. It gives me something to do. And I still like the work. I’m becoming more efficient at the scanning of leaves with microscope and now know what a two-spotted spider mite looks like. Luke (other assistant) caught a large jumping spider on Friday and we watched it attack and consume an earwig. I helped Jane out Thursday and Friday with collecting leaves from various orchard locales for inspection. That’s a rather difficult job just because I have to run around randomly and try to get a good sample representative of a whole orchard block. I saw the location of the Hood’s last big unsolved murder. It’s a house next to an orchard.
Last weekend Matt visited on Saturday. We went extreme hiking in hail, rain, and sunshine and dodged myriad mudpuddles and newts of the rough skinned variety. Also we observed a western skink, several western fence lizards, a young pine squirrel attempting unsuccessfully to hide beneath a small branch, and a chipmunk. Achieved some excellent views. We then dined at The Crazy Pepper and bought essential supplies in the form of candy bars and a mini loaf of French bread so he could try the pepper boursin. We decided it was in everyone’s best interest that he stay until Sunday (it was becoming dark and treacherous for driving distances). After the departure Becky and mom and I went to Portland for shoppin’ clothes. I found a “Slug Racing” tee shirt for goodness sakes. And some pretty rad black capris with Bambi-like fawn buttons. They’re quite adorable. It was a nice successful excursion.
So I guess my summer’s slipping by decently.
I don’t even know where to begin really..that’s the trouble with slacking. It’s my just punishment. Let me start with today. Uncle Scott and Ardyth stopped by for a visit (to see the house and whatnot). I gave him some burned CDs. Now he likes the White Stripes and Radiohead so now I’m introducing him to The Shins and Jump, Little Children. Mom, Beck, and I were planning on going hiking at Wahtum today. We got a late start. It was unpleasantly windy and there were no pikas (or bears for that matter) in sight. Also we heard a very obnoxious bird (“bastard bird” as Becky called it) screaming intermittently. Certainly not your serene, melodious birdcall one expects to hear while hiking. We were led to believe that we would see impressive anthills, both new and ancient, along the trail. We saw no such structures. At least they were not obvious. They need signs. Our trek was going to lead us on a spectacular loop but we took the wrong trail which essentially zigged back down lakeside. There we enjoyed a viewless truckless tailgate picnic..corned beef rye bread sandwiches and grapes in the trunk of the jeep. Hey, it was raining out. Our fingers were numb. I drove the stick shift back home. Let’s just say I’ve been out of practice..never actually been in practice. It died a few times. But I made it!
“ ‘Cause then we’d have to trek all the f*** back up here!”
-Becky
Now I’m watching the Life Aquatic.
Yesterday Becky and I went to town to see Land of the Dead and then we ate at The Crazy Pepper. Now I totally have to see all the Romero films I’ve missed. Some of the political comments were blatantly obvious but at least it wasn’t pure zombie-eating-human-flesh-action for the sake of gore. Then last night we viewed Young Frankenstein. Definitely recommend that one.
The past week I’ve primarily worked. I’m totally raking in the cash. Not really since I don’t get paid but once a month. But it feels so productive! Yeah, it’s wonderful that I now feel obligated to buy everything I want that isn’t deemed terribly important. Oh well. It gives me something to do. And I still like the work. I’m becoming more efficient at the scanning of leaves with microscope and now know what a two-spotted spider mite looks like. Luke (other assistant) caught a large jumping spider on Friday and we watched it attack and consume an earwig. I helped Jane out Thursday and Friday with collecting leaves from various orchard locales for inspection. That’s a rather difficult job just because I have to run around randomly and try to get a good sample representative of a whole orchard block. I saw the location of the Hood’s last big unsolved murder. It’s a house next to an orchard.
Last weekend Matt visited on Saturday. We went extreme hiking in hail, rain, and sunshine and dodged myriad mudpuddles and newts of the rough skinned variety. Also we observed a western skink, several western fence lizards, a young pine squirrel attempting unsuccessfully to hide beneath a small branch, and a chipmunk. Achieved some excellent views. We then dined at The Crazy Pepper and bought essential supplies in the form of candy bars and a mini loaf of French bread so he could try the pepper boursin. We decided it was in everyone’s best interest that he stay until Sunday (it was becoming dark and treacherous for driving distances). After the departure Becky and mom and I went to Portland for shoppin’ clothes. I found a “Slug Racing” tee shirt for goodness sakes. And some pretty rad black capris with Bambi-like fawn buttons. They’re quite adorable. It was a nice successful excursion.
So I guess my summer’s slipping by decently.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home