Update from neglect:
I'll start with what's good:
Last weekend, on saturday, Matt and I ended up going rafting on the McKenzie River with some fish and wildlife people, including "Wild Bill", who was a professional guide for 10 years. It was amazing! Perfect weather, on the river for five hours. The stretch ranged from class 2-3 rapids (puts the canal to SHAME) and we all had paddles and rowed according to Bill's instructions. We actually got stuck on some rocks a few times, but no one fell in, which was definitely a good thing. I was in the eight person raft, and there was also a six person raft. We saw a mink along the bank! First one I've ever seen. We also saw a dead rabbit in the water where we stopped for a while, which was rather odd. Matt and I went to a nearby restaurant after where I got a homemade veggie burger (hazelnut and oat! Very good).
This weekend was the fish and wildlife club's first trip, to Lincoln City. Matt and I took my jeep and we just got back a couple hours ago. Yesterday was a good day, but today was pretty miserable unfortunately. We got an awesome huge house with a hot tub. Matt and I were the first ones there and yesterday most of the club leaders helped cook and we had a burrito/taco bar (including a soy based meat substitute and home cooked pinto beans and guacamole). We all spent some time in the hot tub, which was really nice. People began drinking EARLY. Right after dinner, and continued drinking throughout the late hours. We could see the ocean from the deck and it was a full moon. Two raccoons came up on the deck, and I got some pictures of them. One had a recent injury - was missing an eye. It definitely needed a raccoon-sized pirate eye patch. Then almost everyone went down to the beach around nine thirty, trespassed, slid down a steep bank, and ran from the waves. I wanted to go back early, and unwisely, Matt and I tried to find our way a route back to the house. We had an epic journey which included scrambling through brush (unsuccessfully), hopping a fence in a gated community, traveling in the direction we didn't want to go about half the time 'cause Lincoln City's suburb streets are poorly designed, and going through a construction site (also unsuccessful). We got back around the same time that everyone else did - they obviously found an easy route, and thus we couldn't even make an epic entrance.
Today everyone who'd been drinking and up till 3 got up way before we did! I don't understand how people can do that..we traveled to Depoe Bay to go whale watching. I wasn't even going to take dramamine, because I wanted to see how I fared on my own, but then someone offered it like ten minutes before we got on the boat. So I took one. There was an adorable harbor seal we got to see up close in the harbor (it was waiting for fish scraps). So we got on the boat, and pretty much 15 minutes later I could tell the waves were affecting me pretty severely. We saw several gray whales pretty close, and of course since it's a whale watching outfit, we stopped to observe them. Stopping is really not cool, because the boat is at the mercy of the huge swells. So I was pretty much miserable from there on out..especially when there were really cool whales to be seen. I'm pretty sure the dramamine must've eventually kicked in and saved me from throwing up. We took the early van back to the house, and napped for about an hour (yeah, I took the dramamine too late for its intended purpose and then felt the effects of its drowsiness side effect). I was hungry, hadn't eaten since breakfast, but still was feeling sketchy so didn't eat. Matt and I took off around 3:30 and drove to Depoe Bay for lunch/dinner. My stomach started cramping and feeling icky during the drive, so I ate an English muffin and some saltines. Thought that would help. We went to a place that Matt had been to before so he could get a monte cristo sandwich..I ended up spending some time in the bathroom before my veggie burger got there, was fairly sure I would throw up, but nothing happened. I'm pretty damn sure it was just from not eating because eventually I came out and ate most of the veggie burger and some french fries, and immediately felt better. So - WTF? I'm pretty sure something's wrong with me, because how many people feel sick to their stomach when they haven't eaten substantial food for five hours? It was pretty much the same feeling I had last weekend when I drank one puny tangerine spritzer juice drink an hour after I had ice cream. I can't even handle carbonation!
Yeah, this day was pretty much regrettable. But hey, gray whales were seen.
I'll start with what's good:
Last weekend, on saturday, Matt and I ended up going rafting on the McKenzie River with some fish and wildlife people, including "Wild Bill", who was a professional guide for 10 years. It was amazing! Perfect weather, on the river for five hours. The stretch ranged from class 2-3 rapids (puts the canal to SHAME) and we all had paddles and rowed according to Bill's instructions. We actually got stuck on some rocks a few times, but no one fell in, which was definitely a good thing. I was in the eight person raft, and there was also a six person raft. We saw a mink along the bank! First one I've ever seen. We also saw a dead rabbit in the water where we stopped for a while, which was rather odd. Matt and I went to a nearby restaurant after where I got a homemade veggie burger (hazelnut and oat! Very good).
This weekend was the fish and wildlife club's first trip, to Lincoln City. Matt and I took my jeep and we just got back a couple hours ago. Yesterday was a good day, but today was pretty miserable unfortunately. We got an awesome huge house with a hot tub. Matt and I were the first ones there and yesterday most of the club leaders helped cook and we had a burrito/taco bar (including a soy based meat substitute and home cooked pinto beans and guacamole). We all spent some time in the hot tub, which was really nice. People began drinking EARLY. Right after dinner, and continued drinking throughout the late hours. We could see the ocean from the deck and it was a full moon. Two raccoons came up on the deck, and I got some pictures of them. One had a recent injury - was missing an eye. It definitely needed a raccoon-sized pirate eye patch. Then almost everyone went down to the beach around nine thirty, trespassed, slid down a steep bank, and ran from the waves. I wanted to go back early, and unwisely, Matt and I tried to find our way a route back to the house. We had an epic journey which included scrambling through brush (unsuccessfully), hopping a fence in a gated community, traveling in the direction we didn't want to go about half the time 'cause Lincoln City's suburb streets are poorly designed, and going through a construction site (also unsuccessful). We got back around the same time that everyone else did - they obviously found an easy route, and thus we couldn't even make an epic entrance.
Today everyone who'd been drinking and up till 3 got up way before we did! I don't understand how people can do that..we traveled to Depoe Bay to go whale watching. I wasn't even going to take dramamine, because I wanted to see how I fared on my own, but then someone offered it like ten minutes before we got on the boat. So I took one. There was an adorable harbor seal we got to see up close in the harbor (it was waiting for fish scraps). So we got on the boat, and pretty much 15 minutes later I could tell the waves were affecting me pretty severely. We saw several gray whales pretty close, and of course since it's a whale watching outfit, we stopped to observe them. Stopping is really not cool, because the boat is at the mercy of the huge swells. So I was pretty much miserable from there on out..especially when there were really cool whales to be seen. I'm pretty sure the dramamine must've eventually kicked in and saved me from throwing up. We took the early van back to the house, and napped for about an hour (yeah, I took the dramamine too late for its intended purpose and then felt the effects of its drowsiness side effect). I was hungry, hadn't eaten since breakfast, but still was feeling sketchy so didn't eat. Matt and I took off around 3:30 and drove to Depoe Bay for lunch/dinner. My stomach started cramping and feeling icky during the drive, so I ate an English muffin and some saltines. Thought that would help. We went to a place that Matt had been to before so he could get a monte cristo sandwich..I ended up spending some time in the bathroom before my veggie burger got there, was fairly sure I would throw up, but nothing happened. I'm pretty damn sure it was just from not eating because eventually I came out and ate most of the veggie burger and some french fries, and immediately felt better. So - WTF? I'm pretty sure something's wrong with me, because how many people feel sick to their stomach when they haven't eaten substantial food for five hours? It was pretty much the same feeling I had last weekend when I drank one puny tangerine spritzer juice drink an hour after I had ice cream. I can't even handle carbonation!
Yeah, this day was pretty much regrettable. But hey, gray whales were seen.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home