Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

It's been a busy past few days, but I shall begin with Monday's venture to Portland.
I had arranged with Charlie (a person I've just recently spent some time with who I met at OSU) to meet up at Old Town Pizza, a favorite restaurant of mine. One of his favorite Portland bands was to play that night at Someday Lounge, a mere five minute walk from the pizza place. So I knew Beckers was going with me, and she thought it'd be fun to bring dad with us, so we did. The adventure began when I took the first exit off 84 towards Seattle (rather than the correct second one) and we ended up in heavy traffic across the Columbia. Oopsies. Once back in Oregon, it was no easier actually getting to downtown Portland, and dad ended up having to ask again. We were a bit late, but luckily Charlie wasn't there yet, so we grabbed a table, some African Amber beer (most appropriately), and began to talk. Well, first I went outside to wait a while and called the family of Charlie to inquire if they knew where he was, which they didn't. Luckily he made it, it had been the first day of his internship and he was just running a bit late.

Dinner conversation centered around literature, movies, and music, and as dad divulged some interesting stories, I thanked goodness that everyone seemed to get along famously. After dinner, we walked around downtown, observed a huge Leonberger dog and a game of bocce ball, and eventually went to Powell's. The show started later than we thought it would, so we were only able to stay for the first band. I forget their name, but they were good...very entertaining stage presence. I'd call it experimental. We parted ways, and our trip out of Portland was much calmer and easier.

Yesterday, mom and Beck and I went on a quickie hike up to Lookout Mountain. The seasonal bug pulse was in full force - I'd have had a good collection in short order, and the butterfly diversity alone was outstanding. It wasn't the best time of day, with the sun beating upon us, but oh well. We were only a few minutes late to my appointment in town. I got a prescription sleep aid that will hopefully help me with adjusting to a time schedule so out of sync with what I'm used to. We also went to the DMV where I got a new license (one that actually reflects my physical attributes, as my height and weight were not updated from my permit on my first license), got iced mochas at Dog River, and ran into dad at work. Upon arriving home, we discovered that two young stellers jays had flown the coop/their nest in our old roof, and I got some pretty good pictures of one particularly photogenic chick. I posted three on my photobucket site. We ate dinner after that, and then Beck and I helped mom clean the office - sheesh, a busy day. I think I overexposed myself to the sun and didn't eat as much as I should've, so felt a bit off for a while.

Lost Lake was on the schedule for today. Mom and Beck and I hiked up towards the Pacific Crest trail, but I headed down early to spend some time by the lake. I took some photos of a fly with a mayfly in its jaws. We ate ginger cookies and waded.

And, I started packing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home