Hey, it's almost Halloween.
I have yet to purchase a pumpkin, and doubt I will...but tomorrow I'm actually going to be brave enough and dress up. I'm going as my mom in the '70s. It's going to be pretty damn sweet. I'm even replacing my normal book bag with that little red corduroy suitcase. And I'm wearing sunglasses. After a lifetime of sunglasslessness, I've discovered they are pretty useful, not to mention stylin.'
Anywho, today was gorgeous. I just got back from a walk to the park. I don't understand why disc golf is so popular! Someone please enlighten me. There are always hordes of college students out there tossing discs into the wind toward little chainlink catchments.
I have two midterms next week...in big game and women studies. The WS one should be a snap, but I'm really going to have to start studying soon for the big game one. We've covered a lot of material in not much time. Ack! Time to strap down and study. Ick. No, it shouldn't be too bad. I mean, I really have gotten off pretty easy thus far as far as academics go. This is me trying to convince myself.
Also I must figure out classes soon. I may end up taking the weekend class - wildlife capture and immobilization - over winter term. Two classes I was counting on aren't even offered next term though, so I don't exactly know what to do. I am frightened by the prospect of me graduating in relatively short order. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I guess I have to start looking at entry-level field work, or else get more involved in the public education aspect. But then I'm also interested in husbandry and rehab. Mom always says "things will fall into place," but I have to make the wheels turn initially. I guess I don't think I'm ready to live a professional life yet. I guess I'm just intimidated. But my internship at CCF has given me more confidence. It opened up the possibility of working internationally too.
It's such a race for survival! Unfortunately (?) it's more complicated than salmon returning to their natal streams to spawn. We've got instincts hardwired in there somewhere, but then social expectations, technology, and an advanced enough brain for anxiety, desires, and indecision to arise too. And at least for me, somewhat of a reluctance to give up the past and look to the future with courage. And then there's the unshakable void that comes with wanting someone, imagining what could be, and romanticizing the whole situation.
So, I guess I need to take one step at a time. There are definitely concrete actions that I could take to expose myself to the professional field more. Thursday is the RAFWE symposium on current fish and wildlife research here on campus, so maybe I'll go to a few sessions. The wildlife ecology talks sound quite intriguing. I really should volunteer with ODFW on a deer spotlight survey. What could be better than hanging out of a window of a pickup with a spotlight counting blacktail deer and getting to put it on your resume?
I have yet to purchase a pumpkin, and doubt I will...but tomorrow I'm actually going to be brave enough and dress up. I'm going as my mom in the '70s. It's going to be pretty damn sweet. I'm even replacing my normal book bag with that little red corduroy suitcase. And I'm wearing sunglasses. After a lifetime of sunglasslessness, I've discovered they are pretty useful, not to mention stylin.'
Anywho, today was gorgeous. I just got back from a walk to the park. I don't understand why disc golf is so popular! Someone please enlighten me. There are always hordes of college students out there tossing discs into the wind toward little chainlink catchments.
I have two midterms next week...in big game and women studies. The WS one should be a snap, but I'm really going to have to start studying soon for the big game one. We've covered a lot of material in not much time. Ack! Time to strap down and study. Ick. No, it shouldn't be too bad. I mean, I really have gotten off pretty easy thus far as far as academics go. This is me trying to convince myself.
Also I must figure out classes soon. I may end up taking the weekend class - wildlife capture and immobilization - over winter term. Two classes I was counting on aren't even offered next term though, so I don't exactly know what to do. I am frightened by the prospect of me graduating in relatively short order. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I guess I have to start looking at entry-level field work, or else get more involved in the public education aspect. But then I'm also interested in husbandry and rehab. Mom always says "things will fall into place," but I have to make the wheels turn initially. I guess I don't think I'm ready to live a professional life yet. I guess I'm just intimidated. But my internship at CCF has given me more confidence. It opened up the possibility of working internationally too.
It's such a race for survival! Unfortunately (?) it's more complicated than salmon returning to their natal streams to spawn. We've got instincts hardwired in there somewhere, but then social expectations, technology, and an advanced enough brain for anxiety, desires, and indecision to arise too. And at least for me, somewhat of a reluctance to give up the past and look to the future with courage. And then there's the unshakable void that comes with wanting someone, imagining what could be, and romanticizing the whole situation.
So, I guess I need to take one step at a time. There are definitely concrete actions that I could take to expose myself to the professional field more. Thursday is the RAFWE symposium on current fish and wildlife research here on campus, so maybe I'll go to a few sessions. The wildlife ecology talks sound quite intriguing. I really should volunteer with ODFW on a deer spotlight survey. What could be better than hanging out of a window of a pickup with a spotlight counting blacktail deer and getting to put it on your resume?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home