I found my ring! This morning I finished up my carton of milk, and since it's garbage/recycling day, figured I should get it out on the curb and took that as a sign that I should definitely fetch the garbage bag (from my room) back out of the bin for one thorough look (I'd already glanced at the top layers the day before, but figured it could've sunk to the bottom). There it was...and I have no idea how it ended up in my garbage can. I'm still blaming it on a feline.
Today I had environmental sociology in the AM. Very entertaining. We mainly talked about consumerism and the need to display one's status with junk, and the trend of displaying "green" products to society as a sign of one's eco-consciousness. Funny how minimalism ends up looking like overt consumerism. And the vicarious consumerism...your baby don't care that its wearing Baby Gap as long as it's butt is dry and its stomach is full. It's all rather funny...America's movement to "make cars safer" has just led to a hell of a lot more (dangerous) mass hitting 70+ on the freeways. We need to go bigger to feel safer, but why?
I went to the library and was pleasantly surprised to find they have an abundance of materials on ecofeminism. Then I had a nice lunch/TV break at home and then headed back to campus for a freaking four hour lab session with big game management at Starker Forest. Not terribly engaging, but atleast we were outside. The best part was about the bear damage, but I saw that with the trapper they hire last year on our club trip, so it wasn't really new information. There are quite a few cute/hot/otherwise attractive guys in that class (two of them are grad students...and the plot thickens). Which brings me to my next topic...
I have grown weary from the physical appearance-based comments I hear externally, which only reinforces my remaining doubts about myself. Basically, hearing comments like, "how old are you?," "I would've guessed much younger!," "My 13-year old daughter looks older than you.," and the like...they get old! And then there's "in five years, you'll have to beat the guys away with a stick!" Great. Only five more years, eh? I tell myself when I'm 30, I'll appreciate these comments. Such remarks will, at that time in my life, be perfectly in line with what women are told they should want to hear. Of course nobody's ever perfectly happy with their appearance, we always want to appear either more mature or more youthful, depending on our true age. I say, screw you! Away with unrealtistic ideals applied only to women, away with the monotypic face of female stardom, away with judgments that, whether intentionally or not, serve to introduce or reinforce anxieties over appearance. Funny how little benign comments of the same nature build up like that.
Today I had environmental sociology in the AM. Very entertaining. We mainly talked about consumerism and the need to display one's status with junk, and the trend of displaying "green" products to society as a sign of one's eco-consciousness. Funny how minimalism ends up looking like overt consumerism. And the vicarious consumerism...your baby don't care that its wearing Baby Gap as long as it's butt is dry and its stomach is full. It's all rather funny...America's movement to "make cars safer" has just led to a hell of a lot more (dangerous) mass hitting 70+ on the freeways. We need to go bigger to feel safer, but why?
I went to the library and was pleasantly surprised to find they have an abundance of materials on ecofeminism. Then I had a nice lunch/TV break at home and then headed back to campus for a freaking four hour lab session with big game management at Starker Forest. Not terribly engaging, but atleast we were outside. The best part was about the bear damage, but I saw that with the trapper they hire last year on our club trip, so it wasn't really new information. There are quite a few cute/hot/otherwise attractive guys in that class (two of them are grad students...and the plot thickens). Which brings me to my next topic...
I have grown weary from the physical appearance-based comments I hear externally, which only reinforces my remaining doubts about myself. Basically, hearing comments like, "how old are you?," "I would've guessed much younger!," "My 13-year old daughter looks older than you.," and the like...they get old! And then there's "in five years, you'll have to beat the guys away with a stick!" Great. Only five more years, eh? I tell myself when I'm 30, I'll appreciate these comments. Such remarks will, at that time in my life, be perfectly in line with what women are told they should want to hear. Of course nobody's ever perfectly happy with their appearance, we always want to appear either more mature or more youthful, depending on our true age. I say, screw you! Away with unrealtistic ideals applied only to women, away with the monotypic face of female stardom, away with judgments that, whether intentionally or not, serve to introduce or reinforce anxieties over appearance. Funny how little benign comments of the same nature build up like that.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home