Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Thursday, October 18, 2007

So, it's already Thursday again. Nifty. I've been a sloth today...really don't have a whole lot to do though, so it's totally justifiable.

I am in love with Iron and Wine's new album, The Shepherd's Dog. It's lovely. My favorite track is Resurrection Fern. Innocent Bones is another favorite, as well as Wolves (Song of the Shepherd's Dog).

Last weekend was good. When I found Charlie's mom's house, she was in the midst of hosting a reunion party for a climbing club. He was still in downtown Portland - he and his Spanish teacher somehow got involved with the making of a new Thermals video. Crazy! Thus, I waited a while (story of my life, eh?) and his mom eventually came over and figured out who I was.
I ended up grabbing a paper plate of party food and we walked to this random patch of forest that's survived the expansion of the neighborhood. Charlie needed to experience silence for a while, and the house was loud. We watched some Guster on Ice and ended up going to Produce Row for a beer (we were drawn in by the bluesy music) and to a club to see a band by the name of Dark Skies. Classic, loud rock n' roll. Very good with earplugs.

We got home around 1, and promptly prepared for bed as we had to run for the cheetah early in the morning. Charlie's mom ended up running, and my mom met us there, so mum and I walked and talked, and talked with Laurie. After the run/walk, we got swept behind the scenes with Laurie and her people and got to see a king cheetah from Leopard's Etc. that brought for the kids' cheetah camp. Gorgeous animal! Mum left, but Charlie and I wanted to stay for lunch with Laurie et al, so we went to the parking lot for transferring of produce. So, Charlie left his lights on in the parking lot, and we had to get some police officers to charge the battery. We got back in just as Laurie was getting in line at the restaurant so all was good. Lunch was ok, the company was better, and Charlie even found an IT person to talk to who's become involved with volunteering with Leopards, Etc.

We went back to the house and prepared for a friend's party. This friend, Andrew, had just gotten back from Thailand that morning. It was fun. Fun people to hang out with.

After the party, I had to pack up and get back to C-town. I really didn't want to leave. Charlie and I had barely talked about what I'd wanted to talk about most, but I didn't feel like imposing as he was tired. The drive back was depressing.

In good news, my big game class is going well. As the prof was off for the first three weeks of the term, we are catching up like hell - this week I've spent nine hours in lecture (night sessions, lab, in addition to regular lecture). Crazy! But it's all so interesting! I've learned that we have a double standard for bighorns and blacktails and that no ewe bighorns are harvested...only 6.5% of rams are, and in the blacktails male harvest often exceeds 50%. These are animals with similar reproductive capacity. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I'm going to do something else now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home