Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, October 22, 2007

Drat! I have lost my most precious (and only) ring, and I have absolutely nowhere left that I've thought of to look. Anyway, I'm really hoping a cat didn't consume it (yes, the thought of sifting through the litterbox with a critical eye has crossed my mind). I really wouldn't put it past Simone, who has a habit of gnawing on hair dealies. Even Saucers is suspect, as I have witnessed her chewing on plastic bags. I'm trying not to dwell too much.

Anyways, it is Monday. Classes are still survivable. It was unseasonably warm out today. Tank top weather. Crazy. In my women studies class, our group divorced. Half of us were for the zine, and half for the activism project, so it worked out. My half is going to put together a feminist zine on the topic of ecofeminism and environmental justice. It should be pretty fun. Here's a juicy tidbit I'll incorporate from my environmental sociology text:
"I want to point out that water in the Sound replaces itself every twenty days. Mother Nature cleans up and does quite the cleaning job." This ecofem-angering statement was made by the VP of Exxon, Charles Sitter, after that big oil spill that caused millions of organisms to die. Way to go, Charles. I can see you really feel for the sea otters.

Only one more night session of big game management! I'm always running late...this time I had to forego preparing most of dinner and I just took a tupperware of mushrooms and zucchini with me. It worked. Coblentz always manages to make some students feel uncomfortable when it comes to the topic of ungulate reproduction. We were talking about natural selection in the absence of predators, and he's talking to this guy that sits by me, and says something like, "you're the weak male. I'm the big dominant male, since I'm the professor. Let's say these two females (gesturing to me and the girl next to me) are just coming into estrus. Do you think I'm going to allow you to breed them?" Oh man. That's the second time I've been used in an estrus example (the last time was in bio. of mammals). Watch out, Coblentz! I might just have to call the office of equal opportunity and affirmative action on ya! Anway, it was entertaining, and not actually offensive. Just a tad bit uncomfortable.

Ben and Jerry's Magic Brownies ice cream is a-may-zing. It's a nice compromise between fruity ice creams and the more succulent creams and chocolates.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger Becky said...

    Ahh yes, welcome to buying your own ice cream! On the upside, it doesn't mysteriously disappear from the freezer. On the downside, that means, you eat the entire pint yourself.

    I've got a couple spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns left. Don't waste your time on their creme brulee though -- it's not nearly as good as Haagan Daz's version.

    Another flavor when you just want out and out sugar: S'mores!

     
  • At 11:12 PM , Blogger Merrie said...

    Ha! I just finished up my Cinnamon Buns before I went for the magic browies. That shtuff is incredible. I have actually managed to stretch every pint out to four servings (thus far anyway). Don't know if that's going to happen with this pint though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home