Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On splurging and strays

I spent entirely too much money this weekend, as Jessa and I went to K Falls. I got a really cute fuschia top and a brown zip-up hoodie at Maurices (I've been wanting such a hoodie for a WHILE now, didn't think such a basic item would be that difficult to find, but it was) and we got pedicures. I picked out a dark fuschia polish to match my top so I'll be all coordinated for Jessa's early going away "Mar d'Italian" party. Think Mardi Gras but with Italian food. Weird, yes. I'm not exactly sure what elements of Mardi Gras will be incorporated. Hopefully no stripping for beads. I got luxury food items and Dr. Bronner's bar soaps from Fred Meyer, a few gift items, and some more candles as Jessa and I decided that they are a good option to freshen up our often messy kitchen. Anyway, it was fun. We got good thai food too, and thai iced teas. Definitely unavailable in Lakeview.

Sunday we went up to the sunstone mine with Tessa and Chad, and Tessa's two ridiculous boxers, Ollie and Buster. We took my jeep. Luckily we have ample Windex because Buster likes to lick car windows. I found a decent amount of nice clear to yellow sunstones, nothing valuable though. Still fun. The guy that is charged with day to day operations up there showed us a red stone he found that's worth $2,000. Yeah, that would've been nice to find! But one does have to pay for anything valuable they find - not sure if it's retail value though. They're pretty damn
rare apparently.

Today was kind of turning out boring so I walked to the coffee shop for a hazelnut latte. En route I spotted a border collie standing on the side of the street looking rather helpless. He crossed right in front of a truck as if coming towards me but then seemed to lose interest and sniffed around in someone's yard. On the way back, he was still in the same area, by the random junk/thrift store. I got him to approach me and was able to pet him and realized how thin he was. Well, I couldn't leave at that point. So I called Jessa, who was home for lunch, and asked for the main humane society volunteer's number. She ended up calling but no answer. So Jessa brought my jeep by and the store owner and Jessa managed to get the dog in the car with the help of salami (everyone loves Gallo). Took him to the vet. Had to wait for a call back from the county sheriff. Apparently animal control has to approve of dogs picked up in town being left at the vet's rather than dropped off where found, which I think is ridiculous. Because if he does belong to someone, they were not taking good care of him and if they care enough to look for him they'd call the vet's and/or humane society. I was not going to drop off that unneutered emaciated dog where I found him! So if nobody claims him in three days the humane society will come for him and take him if he seems adoptable (which he totally is, he's a very sweet and cute dog).

In other feral animal news, we've also started feeding the two stray cats that have gotten into our garbage on our porch. Jessa christened the orange fluff Bob and the white and orange cross-eye Prometheus. They are disappointingly skittish.

Thanksgiving is next week which is exciting because it will break the monotony of living here. I've applied for a carnivore internship in southern CA tracking bobcats and mountain lions too so I'm really really hoping I get it...one wouldn't think that there'd be any wilderness left but it's the Santa Monica Mountains which apparently still harbor such beasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home