Wow, so now blogger has a scant handful of font varieties, as well as a word program wannabe tool bar.
So, I’m back from this orientation deal. I have an advisor, printed schedule of classes, and a vague concept of campus geography and major landmarks. And I’m re-typing this whole post ‘cause as far as I know I lost the first one. But if you happen to see two incredibly similar posts, there’s the explanation. So mom and I had to get up at a decent hour to make the journey, and upon arrival we checked in and got our dorm room assignment. Then it was an opening session in the huge auditorium, and after I went to a group meeting with a student leader. We did all the intro. stuff, Q and A, and then took these extensive surveys reminiscent of HS PE health surveys (interests, highest education of parents, drug use, etc.). Then the ag. sciences academic presentation slide show and dinner. While in line for grilled poultry and noodle conglomerate the man in front of us happened to introduce himself. Turns out he was the department head of fisheries and wildlife! Neat-o. Then the math assessment test in a lecture room with cramped desks and pop music to get us pumped up and scantrons. I did sufficiently poorly on it. After that was out of the way, we just drove around the campus and town due to no further commitments that evening. Drove into a park, saw a cottontail. And then this guy that was sitting in a covered area got up and yelled at us and walked towards the car. We got a tad paranoid because this seemed oh so sketchy being in an isolated park at dusk, and if he needed a phone or directions the main road was about less than 5 minutes walking distance. So..we just like, avoided it.
The dorm room reminded me of a hospital visitor room, very white and plain with elevated starchy beds. This particular room turned out to be a hellish one come morning, because it was located conveniently near a door that people were shuffling through in the wee hours. Creaking open, then latching close, at half-minute intervals. Oh well, it was time for continental breakfast anyway.
After eating we wandered through the info. fair and picked up free school spirit–imbued pencils and a ton of literature and random information. Then I had my advising appt. at the main fish/wildlife building, where the department head we met earlier and the head advisor assisted all four of us fish/wildlife people with figuring out how to use the daunting course catalog. There were four wild sheep shoulder mounts in the room, and various bird specimens in the hall. We all got web registered and accumulated a few more ID numbers, etc. After advising we consulted maps frequently and figured out where my classes were..I will be in intermediate algebra, intro. to visual arts, geology of nat’l parks, and two fish/wildlife required courses. Will take chem. winter term. So the co-op is centrally located in an aesthetically pleasing area of the campus, with large lawns and shade trees. Fairly nice. The library is amazing, it’s so huge. And the memorial union is gorgeous. Found another "pangea" sign! Visited the bookstore which looked like a giftstore until the books were discovered sub level. Had a new David Sedaris collection and that Eye of the Albatross book!
Slow process returning. Traffic wasn’t moving swiftly. Well, that’s all I’ll post. Except..it’s return of the ren faire again..oh gosh, guess where it’s at?
So, I’m back from this orientation deal. I have an advisor, printed schedule of classes, and a vague concept of campus geography and major landmarks. And I’m re-typing this whole post ‘cause as far as I know I lost the first one. But if you happen to see two incredibly similar posts, there’s the explanation. So mom and I had to get up at a decent hour to make the journey, and upon arrival we checked in and got our dorm room assignment. Then it was an opening session in the huge auditorium, and after I went to a group meeting with a student leader. We did all the intro. stuff, Q and A, and then took these extensive surveys reminiscent of HS PE health surveys (interests, highest education of parents, drug use, etc.). Then the ag. sciences academic presentation slide show and dinner. While in line for grilled poultry and noodle conglomerate the man in front of us happened to introduce himself. Turns out he was the department head of fisheries and wildlife! Neat-o. Then the math assessment test in a lecture room with cramped desks and pop music to get us pumped up and scantrons. I did sufficiently poorly on it. After that was out of the way, we just drove around the campus and town due to no further commitments that evening. Drove into a park, saw a cottontail. And then this guy that was sitting in a covered area got up and yelled at us and walked towards the car. We got a tad paranoid because this seemed oh so sketchy being in an isolated park at dusk, and if he needed a phone or directions the main road was about less than 5 minutes walking distance. So..we just like, avoided it.
The dorm room reminded me of a hospital visitor room, very white and plain with elevated starchy beds. This particular room turned out to be a hellish one come morning, because it was located conveniently near a door that people were shuffling through in the wee hours. Creaking open, then latching close, at half-minute intervals. Oh well, it was time for continental breakfast anyway.
After eating we wandered through the info. fair and picked up free school spirit–imbued pencils and a ton of literature and random information. Then I had my advising appt. at the main fish/wildlife building, where the department head we met earlier and the head advisor assisted all four of us fish/wildlife people with figuring out how to use the daunting course catalog. There were four wild sheep shoulder mounts in the room, and various bird specimens in the hall. We all got web registered and accumulated a few more ID numbers, etc. After advising we consulted maps frequently and figured out where my classes were..I will be in intermediate algebra, intro. to visual arts, geology of nat’l parks, and two fish/wildlife required courses. Will take chem. winter term. So the co-op is centrally located in an aesthetically pleasing area of the campus, with large lawns and shade trees. Fairly nice. The library is amazing, it’s so huge. And the memorial union is gorgeous. Found another "pangea" sign! Visited the bookstore which looked like a giftstore until the books were discovered sub level. Had a new David Sedaris collection and that Eye of the Albatross book!
Slow process returning. Traffic wasn’t moving swiftly. Well, that’s all I’ll post. Except..it’s return of the ren faire again..oh gosh, guess where it’s at?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home