Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yesterday afternoon I went to see Napoleon Dynamite at the skylight with Jodie and Chelsea. We knew practically everyone there. Before the show started we witnessed the purchasing of prime real estate (sofa in front center). The guys who "bought" it for five bucks were really enthused in their giddyness, as if they'd just gotten some great deal. I knew this was a good one as soon as opening credits on a plate of tots started. A superbly random comedy taking place in the wilds of Idaho..complete with a bobcat rug. Already the impact of this craze can be felt on the ebay community.

So we wandered about a bit downtown. Lucas and Hank and Madison were sitting on the library lawn and we walked up there and talked and threw a tennis ball for an obsessive dog. Then we decided to meet for "tack-o night" at 6:30 so I went home for a few minutes and then went to Parkdale. We joined Nick and Alex in eating tacos and talk. Chelsea was having a "super girly slumber party" and I went home to get a few things together and then went back to town. Samantha, Jodie, Chelsea, and I along with a bunch of other Hood Riverites listened to the band and walked around in the evening. Then we went to the new coffee place, Dog River, and I got a chai. We sat on couches, marveled at the foot massager, and witnessed Nick whipping Alex in the throat with a bandana. I am awe-struck by this feat of pain tolerance. Apparently I am lacking in speleological knowledge.

We again walked around, with Andrea, Sarah, Julie, and Caitlin. Some annoying people yelled at us from cars a few times and I wished more than anything for a high power squirt gun filled with bear mace or some other potentially injurious substance. Then it was time to head to Chelsea's where I became the concerned subject of a make-over. But Andrea and Samantha are skilled..maybe I'll have to get one of those hair straighteners..if I ever got the motivation, I might actually attain a decent looking hairstyle. At approximately 1:30 we went to Sharis and I got a strawberry lemonade. We fell asleep not too long after we got back.

This morning everyone left pretty early, I couldn't find my keys for about 15 minutes. My main concern was not having to call home for assistance but whether or not I'd ever see my deer antler keychain again; after intense rummaging I located them in the side compartment of my duffel bag.

Worked this afternoon, walk this evening. Just past the bridge I heard what I believed was a deer snorting. Then I heard some branches breaking and a fawn emerged from the brush on the opposite bank about 60 feet ahead of me. I watched as it leaped halfway across the water and went in with a huge splash, then treaded the rest of the length and paused in the middle of the trail before trotting down into the field. Luckily I brought my camera and thought that another deer may follow, so I got it out and sure enough a big doe emerged a few minutes later. It too leaped across, I caught an orange blur of it and then took another when it got up to the trail. Deer must not have super strong vision for immobile objects. This deer trotted a few yards down the trail before joining the fawn in the field.

Now even the cats on Friskies canned food containers are airbrushed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home