Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Friday, January 21, 2005

I'm thankful that the day is almost over! My most recent plight consisted of feeling poisoned by bleach inhalation. I had to clean the showers, and this one girl said to use the blue concentrate on the floor, but the instruction sheet said to use bleach, and since I had to use bleach on the curtains I figured it would be best to use it all around and avoid mixing chemicals. So I had this pump spray device to use, and as I was spraying down the curtains it dripped out the side of the nozzle onto my feet (I didn't want to wear my new shoes so I had on flip flops), and then when I flipped a curtain up over the bar some dripped off and I could feel it dripping on my face and then some got onto my wildlife t shirt from Banff which is dearly beloved, so now that shirt is ruined. But basically I was in there for forty minutes breathing in bleach, there were no protective devices for me to employ (i.e. those masks that are useful if one wishes to avoid insulation in the lungs or toxic paint fumes), and it was very unpleasant. I took a nice long shower afterwords hoping to purge myself of pollutants. Damn freaking showers! My respiratory system is still recovering. I went to sit on the porch swing for fresh air and consumed a few glasses of water. How do other people stand it? Maybe I just used too much bleach. Ick! Luckily I shouldn't even have to do that once more this term. I'd seriously refuse to do it unless provided with better technology.

Otherwise the day was alright. I knew I'd be nervous for the chem. test, but also knew that it wouldn't be horribly difficult. I kind of panicked at first, as is the case with me and any test. Like I didn't get the first problem at first. And I got stuck on a temperature conversion one, which I knew I was executing correctly but my answer was not an option. Luckily the prof. made an announcement, we're all getting that one right! Then there was one involving a cheetah, I'm liking it just because of that fact, but it was a conversion one and I'm bad with the factor-label method. But I figured it out anyway using slightly less sophisticated methods. Whatever works, right? And Jasmine finished her test early and waited for me so we could discuss it. We had different test forms but as predicted they had the same questions just in a different order, and she had come up with the same answer for that one. So, those were the primary events of the day. Ooh, I did see someone with an elk hide today. And I took a walk. Did dinner chores. Blah, and I'm thinking I can stand cleaning the bathroom; I don't have to use bleach, just disinfectant and comet and the blue stuff for the floor, which sounds bad but none of it's overwhelming and I'm going to use as little chemical crap as possible to get the job done. We should all just go back to using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning..seriously, this stuff must assault the environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home